Author Topic: Possibly preventing MSPI...  (Read 3834 times)

Offline mommaash

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 08, 2013, 22:17:04 pm »
Hi all, I wanted to get on here and share what I've found with MSPI. First I'll share my family background. My mom has 4 siblings, all of which had several kids. So on my mom's side of the family, there are a total of 21 cousins. Out of all of these kids, there was not one child that was not MSPI. (I was one of these kids.) Now, several of my cousins and siblings have had children (12 so far), all of which have been MSPI as well! So I would say it's definitely hereditary! So out of 33 kids, all have been MSPI! Not one was a good, healthy little baby. That's until this year...

My sister in law got pregnant with her first child in 2010. When her daughter was born, she was MSPI. They put her on super expensive formula like all the rest of us had been on when we were babies. My SIL got pregnant again and had another little girl in May. This time she did the MSPI diet while she was pregnant and breastfeeding. No milk or soy products. She was very strict on the diet and her daughter, Tessa, still ended up with MSPI...worse than her first daughter. Tessa has been in the hospital over and over again because she has been so sick. The head G.I. doctor in Omaha came and talked to them recently and said that she should have never gone on the diet because that actually makes things worse. (I don't know all the details on that or why exactly it is worse, but that was what he told my brother and sister-in-law.)

I have another cousin who had a baby in July. Her father in law (my uncle) is a doctor and after he had done much research, he heard something about taking probiotics while pregnant and breastfeeding to help with the baby's digestive system. So my cousin took probiotics with digestive enzymes the last month of her pregnancy and told me about it as well. Her daughter is now 6 months old and has never had any signs of MSPI or any allergies to anything.

I got pregnant in January of 2012 and obviously wanted nothing more than to have a healthy little one. I began taking the same exact probiotic with digestive enzymes in August (I was due end of September). Not only did I notice a difference in how I felt (I have a bit of lactose intolerance myself but don't change my diet because of it... and it helped me with that), but my son has been the best baby ever! He is now almost 4 months old and is still breastfeeding. He has no signs of any intolerance. At one point when he was 8 weeks old, I began to worry that maybe it was starting up because he started spitting up a little, but a friend of mine told me that her daughter did that and as soon as she cut out carbonated drinks, her child got better... so I tried that and he stopped spitting up and having signs of acid reflux almost immediately!

So... I wanted to give some hope to other moms out there who have children with MSPI and are wanting to have more children. I would HIGHLY recommend getting on a probiotic that has digestive enzymes in it. I'm currently still taking my probiotic and will probably keep taking it for a while. I will definitely take it with my next children. As I said before, my son is almost 4 months old and I honestly feel like he's been the perfect baby. I am already wanting to get pregnant again... how crazy is that?! He slept through the night starting a little before 2 months old... on his own. I didn't do anything to make him do that, but I truly think he is just a content baby with no tummy pain. And I know most of my children will probably not be as great of a baby, but I do think that with the probiotics, it makes an amazing difference in the babies! My cousin's daughter who I mentioned before is just the same, a perfect baby and she slept through the night from the very beginning... I think from 2 weeks on. And she's been such a happy baby too.

Oh I almost forgot... since my son was born, he himself has also been on probiotics. The first couple months he was on one that you can get over the counter at Walgreen's called BioGaia. It's drops that you give him each day once a day. They are a bit pricey ($30 every 2 weeks). But compared to formula and Dr visits, that's cheap! After 2 months, I heard from a head G.I. doctor that he could take Culturelle probiotics. You can get these almost anywhere. They are the adult ones, I just have to open the pill and put it in a bottle for him. So I just mix it with .5 oz of breast milk and give it to him every morning. Those are much less expensive ($18 a month), and they don't have a taste so he has no problem taking it.

I'm so excited to see how my sister in laws next baby is. She is going to try the probiotics since the diet didn't work for her.  When she does get pregnant and have her third child, I will keep you all posted and let you know if the probiotics work for her as well! Also, My sister in law mentioned to the head G.I. Dr that she saw, how me and my cousin had done probiotics and she was curious if he recommended doing that with her next child and this same doctor said that is what he's recommending all pregnant women to do now!

Anyway, I hope this information helps more people out. I feel like this is such an easy answer that no one knows... and I want to get the word out! Please message me if you have any questions!

Ashleigh

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 16:56:44 pm by Canwi »

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Possibly preventing MSPI...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 22:25:46 pm »
Thank you for taking the time to share your story
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 17:01:42 pm by Canwi »

Offline roseola

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 02:41:35 am »
Interesting. Have they done any research studies about this yet?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 17:01:54 pm by Canwi »
Nini

Offline Canwi

• Retired GM and Mod still paying it forward
  • Showing Appreciation 253
  • Me, in a picture
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 17:08:19 pm »
Just a reminder to all who are following this thread, that taking supplements such as probiotics should be discussed with your prenatal/obstetric team.  They are medications and can interact with other things you are taking. 

8) I BFd a combined total of 4y, 1m & 1d