Author Topic: Switching from hungry baby milk to follow on.  (Read 1333 times)

Offline SatanicGoth

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • My world
Switching from hungry baby milk to follow on.
« on: January 11, 2013, 20:01:22 pm »
Hi all, Ive decided to move my DS from hungry baby milk to follow on as Im not satisfied hes getting enough vitamins and minerals from his diet alone. Some days he has 3 meals plus snacks and other days he only wants lunch and maybe a snack later. My question is can I use up the hungry baby I have left and then go straight on to follow on or should I do half the bottles hungry baby and half follow on to ease him in?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 20:43:51 pm by SatanicGoth »
"Were all mad here"

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Switching from hungry baby milk to follow on.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 03:12:52 am »
How old is he?

Offline SatanicGoth

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • My world
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 20:43:12 pm »
6 months and 6 days.
"Were all mad here"

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 22:47:57 pm »
Hi all, Ive decided to move my DS from hungry baby milk to follow on as Im not satisfied hes getting enough vitamins and minerals from his diet alone.

Without question, the first formulas (whether standard of hungry baby) are enough to meet his needs regardless of any solids intake at this age.  There is actually no reason to move to the follow on formulas at all.

At 6 months, he should just be starting solids with only a taste here and there - three meals is far too much.  Most at this age are only having a small taste about an hour after their first milk feed of the day with the remainder of all feeds being formula only.

The solids that he is able to consume will not meet his nutritional needs at all - ounce for ounce, formula has far more in terms of nutritional needs - fat, calories, vitamins etc.

The first thing I would do if you are worried is cut solids right down to once per day.  This will increase his milk intake.  Most babies hover around 30 ozs a day at this age.

Hope this helps - if you have more questions, please ask :)

Offline SatanicGoth

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • My world
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 01:02:45 am »
Hi all, Ive decided to move my DS from hungry baby milk to follow on as Im not satisfied hes getting enough vitamins and minerals from his diet alone.

Without question, the first formulas (whether standard of hungry baby) are enough to meet his needs regardless of any solids intake at this age.  There is actually no reason to move to the follow on formulas at all.

At 6 months, he should just be starting solids with only a taste here and there - three meals is far too much.  Most at this age are only having a small taste about an hour after their first milk feed of the day with the remainder of all feeds being formula only.

The solids that he is able to consume will not meet his nutritional needs at all - ounce for ounce, formula has far more in terms of nutritional needs - fat, calories, vitamins etc.

The first thing I would do if you are worried is cut solids right down to once per day.  This will increase his milk intake.  Most babies hover around 30 ozs a day at this age.

Hope this helps - if you have more questions, please ask :)

Hes on 3 meals a day because hes been weaning from 4 months old due to milk not filling him up and his teeth came through and he wanted things to chew. I have gradually introduced solids and how much he has, he will eat 3 meals plus 30oz of milk a day. I just wanted to bump up his nutrients with the follow on milk.
"Were all mad here"

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 22:46:45 pm »
No need at all... 30 ozs per day plus 3 meals of solids is LOTS at his age :)

Relax momma - there is such a thing as too much iron...