Author Topic: 9 month old waking 7 times a night  (Read 5273 times)

Offline ArianaCR

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2013, 10:17:51 am »
He wouldn't sleep for the catnap attempt i made before reading your posts so you guys are right.  So far tonight he woke crying at 925pm which escalated to screaming.  Tried to rock/comfort for about 20 mins an ended up nursing him back to sleep.  He just woke crying again at 245am with his first night poo in months.  Crazy.  Oh and he started babbling for the first time yesterday (late I know) so maybe new skills develpment is causing some disruption?  Thanks thanks thanks again!

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: 9 month old waking 7 times a night
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2013, 22:43:26 pm »
For sure the new talking bit can cause sleep disruptions!  Be warned he may chat to himself while totally asleep throughout the night now ;)  It's super cute!

Sounds like he was just a bit OT from the shorter PM nap and then the long run to bedtime... don't worry about APing him back to sleep right now hun.. An OT baby is generally harder to settle and right now, sleep trumps all :)

You are doing great!

Offline ArianaCR

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2013, 17:02:14 pm »
Sorry to post over and over.  I got two good naps yesterday (2 hr and 1.5 hr) and have extended the A times to 3 hrs except for the first.  He is SO tired and falls asleep just after 2 hrs.  Anyway last night, even with the good naps yesterday and the increased A times, he woke 9 times:  810p, 10, 1155, 130a, 420, 510, 525, 625, 650.  Any ideas for what to do now?  His first A time today was again just over 2 hrs and I believe I'll have to wake him at 1.5 hrs from his first nap (no props, yeah!!!!). 

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 05:52:13 am »
Yikes!  That sounds like discomfort more than routine to me... any new teeth?

Offline ArianaCR

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2013, 19:20:44 pm »
Nope no teeth on the horizon and he's not sick or having digestive issues either.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2013, 05:50:48 am »
hmmm... could be a touch too much daysleep, though UT wakeups are generally a lovely cot party for an hour or more with a happy kid...

I think we might be best to just leave him be for a few days to see if he settles into the new routine with only 2 naps.

Yay for no props!

Offline ArianaCR

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 17:24:52 pm »
He never wakes happy or has cot parties :)  His naps yesterday were 1 hr and 1.5 hrs and last night he woke up 5 times, two of which were extremely long.  Even nursing didn't work.  I tried tylenol just in case it was teething or something and that didn't help either.  I'll keep trying the two naps a day but it's really difficult because he ends up with a 4 hour A time at the end of the day due to the short 1st nap and the short first A time (trying to extend but it's really hard).

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2013, 05:35:47 am »
I would keep pushing that first A time, a 1 hr AM nap shows he isn't tired enough hun... He's likely OT at the end of the day and this is causing the multiple wake ups...   Push it out 15 mins and hold for a couple days then do another 15 etc... 

I used to extend A times by just walking around the house looking at pics with DD... low key but still awake :)

Offline ArianaCR

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2013, 18:26:40 pm »
Okay, thanks so much for the encouragement.  I was able to push all the A times to at least 3 hrs and I am getting two 1.5 hr naps a day now with no wakings during.  PHEW!  Unfortunately, the night wakings haven't changed.  Last night he was up 6 times, 3 of which took about an hour to settle each.  I think it might be that he lost the ability to sleep independently.  He used to be put down awake with no props and go to sleep with minimal crying AND he could sleep through the night.  Now it takes a LOT of effort on my part (rocking, nursing, singing, pacifier, etc) and he gets very spun up (screaming, head rolling).  What do you guys think and what do you think I should do? 

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2013, 22:47:08 pm »
What does his EASY look like now?  That's a load of NWing!  EEK!