Author Topic: Constipatition  (Read 2778 times)

Offline MommaStorms

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Constipatition
« on: January 18, 2013, 14:55:28 pm »
My sweet girl BMs keep slowing way down  >:( lots of pushing with no results.
She is 7 1/2 months. I make all her food. Mill oatmeal, puree sweet potatos, peas, zuchini, and pears. That's all she's had other than the occational brown rice and banana once or twice but she doesn't like it. Oh and she's breastfed. I have been trying to get her to take water + pear juice from a sippy cup but I'm not sure how much she swollows and how much ends up on her bib  :P   She only gets solids twice a day about 2oz each feeding.

She got way stopped up a couple weeks ago so I stopped all solids until she was moving again. I started her back and it seems like when she had oatmeal she got slowed again, which just seems so bizzare to me because that's what I eat to help me go!

Any ideas or suggestions?
-Laura

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 15:19:24 pm »
What if you tried stopping the oatmeal again?  I think that might be the biggest offender.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline new mum01

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Constipatition
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 20:01:11 pm »
I find prunes are great, pureed up and stirred in with warm custard, and/or prune juice diluted with water in the sippy cup (she should love it, as it's so sweet :p)
Pears are also great
Also serve all her food nice & warm, I think that helps.

Same here re: water and the sippy cup by the way, try offering a normal plastic beaker sometimes - my LO thinks it's great fun & will drink a little more this way BUT be warned the bib ends up SOAKED! x

Offline MommaStorms

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 22:47:15 pm »
I stopped solids until I got her having normal BF BMs then started solids again doing peaches pears and peas. I give her water out of my cup every time I drink and offer her 1/2 pear juice and 1/2 water in her sippy cup but she never takes more than an ounce a day. I dont know what to do, I cant make her drink if she doesnt want it. She's back to having these little poos. And they aren't HARD but they are stiff like... play dough...

I'm not sure if I'm over analyzing it?
-Laura

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 01:11:36 am »
How frequently is she going? Is she straining? It's quite normal for bms to change after starting solids so she might not be constipated. Is she breast or formula fed? You could try water out of a straw sippy.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline MommaStorms

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 01:38:12 am »
She is breastfed. She's pushing without anything coming out but eventually gets something, like later in the day. She has never had consistent BMs. When her poops are 'normal' is seems like she goes every other day but when she seems slowed down she goes a couple times a day but just little bitty poos. I babysit a baby 2 months older than her that gets much more solids and he still has mushy poo. I'm ashamed to admit but I looked up baby poop pictures on the Internet and hers are definitely not normal. I guess I'll be taking her to the doctor, I don't want to be the mom they laugh about but I don't know what else to do.  ???
-Laura

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 01:50:39 am »
There is a link around here somewhere about baby poop called the scoop on poop, maybe in the health boards. (sorry can't link from here!). There are a lot of different kinds of normal so try not to compare, but definitely ask a doc if you are worried.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 02:25:22 am »
Hi, I'm back and on my computer so I can give you the link now:  The scoop on poop!

So, as you can see worrying about baby poop is very common amongst mothers hence why we have a whole section dedicated to it here!  DO NOT feel ashamed for worrying about your baby's poop and no one is going to laugh at you.  We have all been there and I cannot tell you how many dirty diapers I have scrutinized over. 

Have a read through the link I posted, you may find it helpful, and like I said talk to your baby's doctor.  I assure you they will not think you are weird and probably get asked about it all the time. 

Hugs!  :)

ETA maybe this is helpful too?:  Laxative Foods
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline MommaStorms

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 15:17:14 pm »
Thank you so much!
-Laura

Offline Tao

• Showing Appreciation 5
  • DD 1 4/19/09 DD2 3/8/12
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 22:03:06 pm »
Hi there my pediatric Gastro dr told is the 3 p's peaches pears and plums. I always purée 1-2 oz of pears into every meal for my baby and she was never constipated again. The key is to get fruits with lots of pectin :) hth
Christine

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 22:24:51 pm »
Em, I'm not sure if it's been changed recently but I read through that laxative foods thread a while ago and I thought some of the stuff on it was not great advice - pretty confusing and not necessarily correct  :-\
Claire x

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 22:29:27 pm »
Maybe PM a moderator to mention that Claire?  I've actually never read it, just knew it was there.....
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 22:30:30 pm »
Yes I meant to do it ages ago  ::)!  Sorry - not sure why I addressed my comment to you  :)!
Claire x

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 22:34:16 pm »
Maybe because I used to be the solids mod.  ;)  Good eye!
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline MommaStorms

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 00:56:34 am »
thank you all!! My Doctor said try Prunes and/or dark karo syrup.
I put the karo in oatmeal bc... well... who likes plain oatmeal?? I don't really feel like it's spoiling her with sweets bc I eat my oatmeal with brown sugar! I also fed her prunes on a different day. Not sure which one did the trick. I can narrow it down between the 2 now that I know something works for her!! It is true what "they say" EVERYONE is different so I just had to figure out what worked for her, turns out it was the last 2 things I didn't want to try  :P
-Laura