Author Topic: How to get them to eat enough at DF?  (Read 1990 times)

Offline katiemgarvin

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • Baby G Makes Three!
How to get them to eat enough at DF?
« on: January 21, 2013, 02:53:39 am »
DS is 18.5 weeks and has been on a 4-hr EASY for about a month.  Recently, we have had major issues with his eating!  He was eating between 6-7ozs five times a day and now he maybe eats 6, but more likely 5.  He also will rarely take more than 4 at the DF and then he wakes up starving at 5am (wake-time is 7).  I should mention that we have recently switched his formula (as in yesterday) from Similac Sensitive to Isomil.  But this was going on even before the switch.  Any thoughts?!

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: How to get them to eat enough at DF?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 04:40:46 am »
Why did you change formulas?

Offline katiemgarvin

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • Baby G Makes Three!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 21:33:12 pm »
We switched because he started waking up several times in the night with gas pains right as we were switching totally to formula.  So, after discussing it with the pediatrician, we decided to switch him to the Isomil.  But, like I said, this was kinda of a problem before we switched, too. 

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 21:38:09 pm »
What times are you feeding him during the day? Have you tried a faster teat? What's the total he has over 24 hours and does he have any digestive issues like reflux?

Laura

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 21:41:42 pm »
Just wondering as it is rather odd too switch to a soy formula... if he is sensitive to milk protein, there is a high chance he is also sensitive to soy (as they are very similar in structure).  The Similac Sensitive is a low lactose formula and since he reacted to that, I am more inclined to think it would be an issue related to proteins... most often, LOs are sensitive to casein (as opposed to whey).

Is he still having the gas issues with the Isomil?

I would be more inclined to think that his feeding issues are related to the pain he was feeling from eating - it doesn't take them long to associate the food with the pain it causes...

Could also be time to move to a faster nipple...

Posted same time as Laura ;)

Offline katiemgarvin

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • Baby G Makes Three!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 01:52:27 am »
He gets his bottle (usually, give or take 1/2 hr) at 7, 11, 3, 7, and 11.  He's only been on the new formula for three full days.  Seems to be doing better with it, as in he's eating more during the day.  He's taken 5 oz each time today (it expands up to 6) so that's 20 oz so far.  He hasn't seemed quite as gassy and his spit-up is about the same.  He did not sleep well last night still, so that's getting a little frustrating.  The doctor told me to give it at least a week before trying something different.  I actually did try the Gerber Goodstart Gentle between the sensitive and isomil and it was a complete disaster.  I had the same thought about the casein and whey. He barely ate it and had super runny, watery poop and was projectile vomiting.  He is on Zantac twice a day for reflux, but he has been since he was 1 month old.  As for the nipple, he's using a size 2 right now.  I think a lot of his problem not eating well at the DF is that he just won't wake up enough.  Sorry...I feel like I didn't really give y'all a complete picture with my first post.  I was in a hurry!

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 04:34:15 am »
No worries... have you tried not doing the DF to see if he wakes closer to 1-3am so that he takes a good feed and sleeps until closer to 7am?

Have you had his Zantac dose checked recently?  How much does he weigh and how much is his dose?

If it was the milk proteins, you need to wait 2 weeks for them to leave his system..

He's taken 5 oz each time today (it expands up to 6)

If you are using powder and use 5 ozs of water, it's a 5 oz feed, not 6.  You measure based on the water ;)

Offline katiemgarvin

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • Baby G Makes Three!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 14:42:01 pm »
He's getting .7ml x2/day.  He weighs 14lbs9ozs.  I meant to ask his doctor about his dose when he went for his 4-month well baby check-up and forgot.  He did better last night...DH said he ate about 4 oz, but he made it till 7.  Still woke up several times crying in the night.  He's seems to not be in so much pain with gas at night, so hopefully we're on the right track!  I think a lot of his NW is b/c he's just getting used to us coming in and comforting him when he cries. 

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 05:37:51 am »
He's getting .7ml x2/day.  He weighs 14lbs9ozs. 

Hello again...

His dose is actually below the minimum recommended dose so likely not doing much of anything really...  The low dose could explain the small feeds - the acid is pushing up after a smaller than average feed for him...

At 6.6 kgs, his dose range should be a minimum of 0.9mls twice a day, but could be as high as 1.7 mls, twice per day.

http://www.cryingoverspiltmilk.co.nz/treatment/DosageSchedule4HealthProfessionals.htm

Given this info, I would book an appt ASAP with dr to have his dose increased.

Offline katiemgarvin

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • Baby G Makes Three!
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 15:30:02 pm »
Thanks for the input!  I did call them actually yesterday (he was just there on Friday and I forgot to ask about it) and asked if we should increase it.  The nurse said as long as his symptoms haven't returned (arching back, total refusal to eat, crying when laying flat) we would leave it for now and re-evaluate at his 6 month check-up.  He is definitely doing none of those things!  He really does seem better with this new formula.  He's been downing 6oz for the last several feeds, even the DF!  I switched him to a level 3 nipple, so maybe that was the problem all along.  Hopefully!

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 22:08:54 pm »
The nipple was my next suggestion!

Fingers crossed that this is the answer hun.. Did the nurse suggest stopping the meds at all?  That dose is lower than the minimum recommended so it's not doing anything really... Maybe call back and suggest a wean once he is on the new formula with no issues for a couple of weeks?