Author Topic: Collapsing nipple and increased flow  (Read 19529 times)

Offline Alexian28

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Collapsing nipple and increased flow
« on: January 24, 2013, 20:16:10 pm »
I feel like this is a really dumb question, but how do I know when DD is having to suck so hard on the bottle that the nipple collapses, and when do I need to bump up to the medium flow as a result?  We use the Nuk bottles with the airvent system and they've worked well up until a couple of days ago.  Her mouth will move a few times like she's trying to suck but she's not swallowing.  She'll then stop and unlatch, or I unlatch her myself.  When she does that, bubbles come up from the nipple and she can eat again.  This doesn't happen all the time but it is happening more frequently.  We get through a feeding (3-4 oz) pretty quickly, about 20 minutes including burp time so it's not like she's taking a super long time to eat and doesn't act frustrated yet so I don't *think* it's time to go to a faster flow.  I've checked the airvent hole in the nipple base and it's not clogged.
3 year old DD with special needs
DS born 12/11/2015

Offline Bee9

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 21:19:55 pm »
My 5 month old son has been collapsing the nipple for almost the whole time he's been on bottles.  I just vent it for him (break his latch), and he's gotten used to it and some times does it on his own.

I thought we needed to move up to the medium flow nipple about 2 months ago, but he choked with the faster flow.  We're just switching today to the medium and he takes it pretty well (no choking, no massive dribbles).  I read it should take about 15 minutes to finish a bottle.  If I were you I would stay with the slow flow for now.  Or you can try it and see how it goes.  I do also know that if you're not exclusively bottle feeding (meaning you're breastfeeding part of the time) you want to stick with slow flow (because baby will get used to the faster bottle nipple and be unhappy with the slow flow of the breast).

Hope this was helpful. :)

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Collapsing nipple and increased flow
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 23:25:34 pm »
I would try the next size up and give it a couple days to see if it makes a difference.

How old is she now?

Offline Alexian28

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 02:09:01 am »
Very helpful!

She is 8 weeks old, way too young for medium flow in my opinion! 

And she is exclusively bottle fed (no milk supply after NICU time).

I wasn't even sure if having to do this venting really was nipple collapse as I don't really know what to look for.
DS born 12/11/2015

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 05:52:46 am »
What brand of bottles are you using?  Some do have more than just fast and slow options - I used Avent, 4 levels of milk flow available.

Nipple collapse is just what it sounds like, you will see baby suck fairly hard and the nipple with collapse in on itself (the sides will cave in).

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 07:19:19 am »
If the nipple is collapsing they are sucking too hard and need a faster teat or a vari flow teat - they aren't supposed to collapse as they suck as they won't be able to get the milk out properly.

8 weeks really isn't too young for a medium flow teat, both mine had moved up by then (and that was before they were on thickened formula). Remember the age guides on the packets are just that - guides. Some babies have a very good suck and need a faster teat a lot sooner, some stay on level 1 foe ever. Equally some babies with a poor suck often need a faster teat to be able to feed.

Laura

Offline Alexian28

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 15:16:32 pm »
Equally some babies with a poor suck often need a faster teat to be able to feed.

Laura that's really interesting, I didn't think about that.  She had a horrible bottle latch for quite awhile, still no root reflex and just got her suck reflex back a few weeks ago.  When she first started bottle feeding it'd take her an hour to drink one ounce, we had to keep reminding her there was something in her mouth.  We still do at least 5 times per feeding. 

Kara we used the wide mouth Nuk bottles.  The part of the top that's not in her mouth doesn't collapse; it's made of a stiffer material than the nipple itself I think, which is why I can't tell if the nipple is collapsing just by looking :) 
DS born 12/11/2015

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 22:04:49 pm »
I know the ones you mean :)  We tried Nuk and DD didn't like it at all... It's unlikely that it is collapsing given the design of that nipple... the part that collapses is really the entire thing, you would notice something with the wider part of the nipple, even though it is a bit stiffer there.  They only come in two flow speeds as well - a 0-6 and a 6+ option so I would think the faster might be too fast for her...

Have you tried any other bottles with her?

Offline Alexian28

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 04:33:50 am »
We have the playtex drop ins but she isn't fond of the nipple shape.  The Nuks come in 3 speeds, slow (newborn) medium (3 months) and fast (6 months).  I wonder if she's just smushing the nipple closed with her tongue?  I paid close attention today and she's getting more annoyed at feeding compared to the last few days.  The first ounce she pops on and off the bottle constantly and shakes her head, and her cheeks get sucked in slightly.  I also have to release her latch to get the milk flowing again.  By ounce 2 she doesn't do this as much and by ounce 3 she's settled into it and eats fine.  Just not sure what's going on here :)
DS born 12/11/2015

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 05:08:03 am »
That does sound like she needs to go up a speed!  I would give it a try.

Offline Alexian28

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 22:48:02 pm »
Wow what a difference! She latched right on, never came off, no fussing crying or gulping.  Done in 10 minutes instead of 30-45. Hooray!
DS born 12/11/2015

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 22:55:04 pm »
YAY!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 08:38:54 am »
Fab! I've done that many times - thought things were going fine and then changed teat and bingo! I've done the same with sleepers and onsies too, suddenly realised after a week of struggling to popper the things that we needed bigger ones ::) ;D

Laura

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 19:00:28 pm »
I've done the same with sleepers and onsies too, suddenly realised after a week of struggling to popper the things that we needed bigger ones ::) ;D

LOL!  I discovered DD was fussy because the feet on her sleepers were a bit snug once ;)

Offline Alexian28

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 18:14:51 pm »
Ha very true, we did this with an outfit last week that she just didn't like!

Is there a chance her awful intestinal gas will eventually get better using the medium flow?  If so, how long should I expect to wait to see a difference? 
DS born 12/11/2015