Author Topic: Xbox kinect  (Read 2685 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Xbox kinect
« on: February 04, 2013, 00:31:55 am »
Does your toddler play the kinect?
There's a recommended minimum height of 40" for the camera to pick up players so my DS is not tall enough yet, but I was just wondering if anyone's toddlers are using this, especially as a physical activity on rainy or cold days?  What games did you find good for young ones?  What age did you introduce it?

I've looked at some kid games for ages 3+ like dancing which I am sure DS would like.  He does the yogo on 'Waybuloo' and the big world magic moves on 'Tree Foo Tom' and joins in with kids dance DVDs we have and really enjoys it.  I join in too of course  ;D
I love that he can enjoy the screen time and be active too.  I'm actually really looking forward to being able to play some interactive games with him, and the amazement that his body movements can control/effect something outside of him.

Care to share your experiences?

Offline roseola

• Showing Appreciation 32
Re: Xbox kinect
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 03:39:24 am »
I've never heard of any of this, but I'm going to check it out. Sounds really fun.
Nini

Offline lauraweb

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 05:00:55 am »
DS who is just turning 4 loves playing kinect. We reserve it as a special treat and it is awesome for times that we really want him occupied! Really good for rainy days when you are cooped up inside too. Only problem for us is that he loves it so much we often end up with a battle when it's time to put away - having said that the simple solution of a timer does help!

The co - op games are really good too. We got a free game with it where he is in a rubber lifeboat thingy and has to jump to get points and steer by leaning. He plays it with his cousin and it's great to hear them working together about which way to lean etc.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 23:55:54 pm »
That's cool Laura. I know screen time isn't something to encourage too much of but I really love that they can be active and start learning about technology too.  We have that one with the dingy, I hadn't thought of the co-playing, what a good point, nice that the game is about cooperation rather than competition.  You can really work up a sweat playing those games too!  We have sports and your shape fitness but I haven't found time to use them in so long.

Nini, looking back at my first post I might not have been clear, 'Waybuloo' and 'Tree Foo Tom' are TV programmes (not kinect games) in the UK.  I think they are available in other countries too but I don't know where.  The 'yogo' is basically yoga moves done by gentle animal animated creatures and real life kids.  It's fun and pretty calming too where as the music and dance DVDs are all up beat and a bit manic.

Offline roseola

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 23:13:16 pm »
Of course DH has heard of Kinect and is all on board for getting...anything electronic!
Nini

Offline lauraweb

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 06:29:17 am »
We have your shape fitness too which is really good. DH and I do it together some evenings....but at the moment we are playing borderlands which is a real shot em up x box game instead! (I am one of the few girls out there who seem to like games like that!)

Roseola, xinect is really fun, it is the ultimate treat for DS so comes in very handy!