Author Topic: Wont drink full bottle  (Read 1195 times)

Offline AZmom09

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 05, 2013, 21:31:51 pm »
My 14 week old has been on the bottle for about 3-4 weeks now. Within the last 2 weeks she no longer acts like she wants the bottle. She will drink and then pull away. I was using a breastflow bottle, but i switched to playtex and she seems to like it better, but still she wont have a full bottle in one sitting. So i end up feeding her a half or so of the bottle and then the rest sometime before the nap- which ends up messing up her EASY schedule.
Any advice?? The only way to really get her on a schedule is if she is eating correctly...

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Wont drink full bottle
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 23:43:21 pm »
How often are you feeding her?  Could be that she wants a longer time between feeds... most will move to a 4 hr routine feeding wise around 14-16 weeks...

Offline AZmom09

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 07:22:59 am »
I wish! I'm not sure. She was doing every 3 hours, but i hear how now she should go 4 hours. But the thing is- i cant get her to have a full bottle at one time, so it will come to her nap and she will fall asleep with only having eaten 2 ounces and then during her nap she will wake up crying hungry so i will need to feed her the rest. How much should she eat per feed? 4 ounces? Maybe i should try my best to hold her off and start fresh?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 07:26:18 am »
Most 14 week olds will be taking around 6oz per feed. Have you tried a faster teat?

Does she have any signs of digestive discomfort like reflux? Reflux 101 - General reflux information

Laura

Offline AZmom09

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 07:29:12 am »
6oz how many times a day?
She doesnt have colic, my other's did and i am sure it is not that with her, luckily!

maybe i will try a medium flow teat and see if that works.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 08:17:19 am »
That link isn't about colic, it's about reflux which isn't the same - have a look anyway if you haven't and see if anything rings a bell :)

If she was on a 3 hour routine it would be a 6oz bottle at (for example) 7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm and 7pm then a dreamfeed and probably a night feed. Not all 14 week old take that much, some will take a bit more some less. A very general guide is 2-2.5oz per lb of body weight in 24 hours.

Definitly try a faster teat, that should help. A bottle feed should be done with in about 20 mins, so if you have got into a snacking habit you need to start in the morning and get as much of the first feed into her as you can in the 20 mins. Then you get her to go as long as possible on that feed by distracting etc until you get to as close to 3 hours as you can. Then you feed and she should take more. If you got her to 2.5 hours the next feed need to wait for at least 2.5 hours - if you can 15 mins or so longer. If you managed 2 hrs 45 then next feed then should be that time plus a bit more.

You are aiming to space feeds 4 hours apart, so if she wakes at 7 you will feed her at 7am, 11am, 3pm and 7pm (bedtime). Wake times will vary so it depends on your LO's wake up time.

Laura