Author Topic: Sippy cup vs straw cup  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Nickie18

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Sippy cup vs straw cup
« on: February 17, 2013, 22:31:27 pm »
My LO is now almost 11 months and he is a growing boy! We are trying to transition off the bottle to a sippy- We have tried many sippy type spouts as well as a weighted straw type sippy cup. He seems to handle the straw sippy well, though we have only given him water in the cups so far at the end of meals... Anyone have any experience with straws vs. spout type sippy cups? He seems to be starting to spit out water from the straw cups, but that may also happen with spouts...

Any recommendations for spout type sippy cups?

Thanks!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: Sippy cup vs straw cup
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 12:13:28 pm »
I found the straw cup was much better for my guy. We had a mag mag one and that was great- but i've seen the weigted ones and they also looked good! How many feeds are you on at the moment? are you breastfeeding? I found that until my guy was on 2 milk feeds a day he just didn't want to drink much water at all!

When looking for sippy cups it's best to get a free flowing sippy cup, or one that you can take the valve out of. This allows them to practice the skills of drinking from a cup without all of the mess.
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Nickie18

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 22:09:47 pm »
Thank you! He is still on four bottle feeds a day- we are on formula now. We are limiting the formula to about 35 ounces a day as he is eating so much too... I guess that is still a lot of liquid. I think we will stick with the straw for now...

He took about one ounce of formula from the straw cup yesterday, and refused the rest and I gave in and put it in a bottle and he finished it all. My sister said she changed one feed a day to the sippy and would not give more formula in a bottle if her kids did not drink from the sippy. Did that for a few days until they drank it and then moved to the next feed time. Does that sound like a plan or just change cold turkey to the straw?

:)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 22:18:08 pm »
I would do what your sister suggests! If you offer something then change when he protests you are just teaching him that if he shouts loud enough he can get his own way!

He is having a lot of formula for his age - most babies are having around 24oz by now and after they hit 1 they only need 12-14oz to get their needs met. As part of transitioning to cow's milk and a more "grown up" way of eating you can move him to 3 bottles and reduce the formula but increase his solids. From 1 milk is a drink not a food so if he is eating table food well then that's great, but too much formula will reduce their apetite for food.

Laura

Offline Nickie18

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 23:10:15 pm »
Ok! We will start once a day and see what happens... We all just need to be consistent... Should I ask questions about schedule here or a different board?

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 02:19:24 am »
Ask questions about eating scedules on here- if it's about sleep on the 'sleepig for toddlers' board. Stay on here though as it seems your main questions are around eating routnes rather than sleeping!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!