Author Topic: 14-month old sippy cup issues  (Read 1762 times)

Offline NewmomLauren

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
14-month old sippy cup issues
« on: February 19, 2013, 17:10:25 pm »
Hi there!  So glad to have this forum.  I read many posts looking for answers to my problem and didn't see anything so I thought I'd go ahead and post.  My son transitioned from formula/bottles at 12 months to cow's milk/bottles with no problem.  It took a few weeks of gradually stepping down the amount of formula and within 4-5 weeks he was taking all milk bottles.  Yay.  The doc advised us to wean him off the bottle and onto a sippy cup, and he started to want fewer and fewer milk bottles anyway.  He had been taking water from a sippy cup with no problems for months.  So I offered him milk in the sippy cup that typically has water in it and we went off the rails.   

Even though I tell him everything before I give it to him, when he got milk instead of water for the first time he seemed absolutely stunned (or betrayed).  He has been throwing it on the floor ever since and will not take milk in any way shape or form.  I have tried chocolate syrup, strawberry syrup, blending it with strawberries (he loves strawberries), mixing it with fruit yogurt smoothies, warming it, and even giving it to him with a spoon.  He won't have it.  A couple of times I tried switching the sippy cups around and giving him milk or one of the above concoctions in his normal water sippy cup (which is blue/red), and putting water in a different one (blue/orange) and he would drink neither - to the point of dehydration.  That's when I realized, this may not be about the milk, but he also has an aversion to any new sippy cup.  All he wants is water from the same blue/red cup he's always had it from.  I tried putting the milk in the blue/orange cup and tethering it to his highchair so it was always present even if he didn't drink it.  That didn't seem to go anywhere.  So this last week I have only given him water from his normal cup and given him a break from trying the milk.  The doc said yogurt is a fine substitute (same amount of fat/calcium as milk) so we have been giving him yogurt for a few weeks now, as well as cheese.  I have tried other types of sippy cups for his water, trying to break his fixation with this one particular sippy cup without success - until yesterday.  He drank water from a new sippy cup (same colors though, blue/red) and without handles.  He didn't take a lot, but when he did I went bananas and really made a big deal about it.  At the same time, I put yogurt smoothie in his old blue/red cup and he took a couple of sips but nothing substantial.  Again I went crazy with praise.  I don't mind giving him yogurt, but sometimes I think he gets tired of it at every meal and I have to feed it to him unlike a sippy cup of milk that he can drink himself.

So my questions are, where did I go wrong so I know not to do it again?  Have I just totally confused the poor kid?  Should I just give up on trying milk altogether or is there something I should do to try and reintroduce it to him?  I understand some kids just don't like milk, and I'm okay with that, but I would hate for him to grow up and not drink milk because I did something to cause the aversion instead of him just not liking the taste.  Thanks for any help or advice!  ~Lauren

p.s. Though I've always thought he was an "angel" baby, so easy with eating, sleeping, etc, sometimes he is not fond of change.  It takes him a while before he will let you read through a new book or he plays with new toys.  Maybe milk in the sippy cup is the same thing???

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 14-month old sippy cup issues
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 16:17:18 pm »
Hi there
A few thoughts...
- at this age he knows if he is thirsty or hungry, mostly would want water for thirst as milk is a food so it could be that he felt a bit upset by milk being in his regular sippy cup if he already had a strong association with those colours and water.  I had half a dozen cups, different colours so I suppose my LO didn't attach to one cup.
- dairy solids such as cheese and yogurt are fine for toddlers who don't like milk or won't take it, so long as he has adequate intake of them.
- at a younger age than your LO my DS dramatically reduced his milk intake.  All recommendations were to increase dairy solids (as you have) to supplement his milk intake but what I found was the more I increased his dairy solids the less milk he drank, like he was self regulating the dairy that he needed.  When I cut right back on dairy solids he increased milk intake all of his own accord.  You could try a couple of days with no dairy solids and see if he will take more milk or just continue as you are with the yogurt.
- Many LOs don't take a lot of milk with a sippy cup.  Similar to your LO when I switched over my DS went crazy angry.  I found he was happy to use a straw though.  you might try this.  Either an open cup with a disposable straw (you might need to help) or a straw cup.  It's totally different from the sippy so he might go for it.  You could also try an open cup for milk, the opportunity to experiment and try the open cup might temp him into taking the milk.  Pour just a little in the cup let him drink, then pour again.  it's good practice anyway.
- I would personally not go down the route of sugary syrups to tempt him to the milk for the sake of his teeth, but I understand why you've tried it, anything to get him to have milk hey.  Some sugar free alternatives you might try: coconut milk, almond milk, oat milk, red bush tea (no caffeine no sugar but adds flavour), evaporated milk (double the calcium, tastes creamier), yogurt drinks (mix natural yogurt with milk so it is thin enough to be taken through a straw)

The big one though - don't blame yourself!
hope something might help xx

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 12:41:39 pm »
Pour just a little in the cup let him drink, then pour again.

I found out this little trick the hard way!! ::) It's amazing how far a full cup of milk can be poured!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 15:31:25 pm »
There is a joy that comes from pouring milk whilst sitting at the dining table that is totally absent from pouring water whilst sitting in a bath  ::)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 21:24:38 pm »
;D
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline NewmomLauren

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 16:00:52 pm »
Thanks so much!  This was very helpful and encouraging.  I have since tried Almond Milk - he took a sip the first time I offered it the other day but has since refused it.  I may try pulling back on the other solids and see what happens.  It totally makes sense that he may not want it if his dairy needs are already being met. He also might go for drinking a little bit from a cup.  He's always reaching for my cup when I'm drinking something.  Could be messy, but I'm down for it just to see what happens.  Also, he is now taking water from different sippy cups - hooray!  :)  Thanks again for responding.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 20:39:59 pm »
Hope it gores well for you xx