Author Topic: Almost 3 yr old DS eats the same things all of the time  (Read 2194 times)

Offline carolina_bug

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Almost 3 yr old DS eats the same things all of the time
« on: March 02, 2013, 20:19:40 pm »
My DS will be 3 in May and she has always been a picky eater.  I think it's a texture thing with her.  She does get a fairly balanced diet but it's just the same things all of the time.  Not sure if that's really healthy.  Breakfast isn't a problem but lunch and dinner are.

Here's a list:

pizza  (I put pureed peas/carrots with a little tomato sauce on toast with cheese and olives)

mac n' cheese- whole wheat noodles with real cheese and milk

cheese sandwich with veggies (cucumber, red pepper, carrots, celery)

peanut butter sandwich with veggies

eggs and toast

fish and rice

She drinks a lot of water and I give her prune juice once a day to combat the cheese.

She won't really eat what my DH and I eat.  She'll eat plain pasta, but no tomato sauce.  We're mainly vegetarian but do eat fish and occasionally chicken.  She won't eat lentils or beans or fruit.  Sometimes will eat bits of apple or banana but that's it.  I used to make smoothies to sneak fruit in, but she won't drink them now.

Any ideas on how to mix things up?  She's a carb girl and obviously loves cheese, but I need to get other things in her besides bread and cheese!

Thanks.

Offline clazzat

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 286
Re: Almost 3 yr old DS eats the same things all of the time
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 21:35:07 pm »
It is pretty normal for their diets to be pretty restricted while they are young - I think that my children eat pretty well, but we still only have 6-7 meals in rotation and they are older than yours. Given that there is a reasonable mix of veggies, protein and carbs in what she eats, I wouldn't stress too much about how limited it is. Keep offering different things, particularly different textures, to give her a chance to try them and get used to them, but let her come round to things in her own time.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 22:03:00 pm »
If she likes rice could you try quinoa? Mix it up with some if the veges she likes and serve as a salad?

Have you tried berries as a snack? I know they are incredibly popular with LOs.

Offline lilisuze

• Showing Appreciation 46
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 07:48:00 am »
hey, I second the berries, grapes, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries (I cut them into quarters) mixed with cheerios! And have you tried raisins, sultanas etc?
Little dude (2008) spirited monkey boy
Little pink (2011) textbook princess

Offline carolina_bug

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 14:31:43 pm »
I have tried grapes, blueberries, strawberries, etc.  She will not eat them.  She will eat raisins.

I know that she is at least getting her protein, carb and veg, so I won't worry to much about it then.

Thanks for the input. 

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 16:58:25 pm »
Do you give her a multivitamin?

I see you are in Canada - I give DD a Flintstones vit each day ;)  They make them in varying levels of vits.. there is one for fussy eaters that covers quite a few things.. box is pink ;)

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 17:03:47 pm »
That's a longer list than my DS will eat. :P Watching here for ideas!
*Kate*

Offline carolina_bug

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 23:08:44 pm »
Yeah, I have her on the pink Flintstones.  :O)  Trying to cover all my bases.  Looks like it's normal and I should be grateful that she's eating as much as she is!

She will eat the SunRipe fruit bars.  I cut them into bite size squares.  It's just condensed fruit & juice, so I guess that's better than nothing.

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 23:37:31 pm »
When you want to add to your lo's diet, look closely at what they DO eat, then try to expand along similar lines.  So for instance, if she likes toast, try french toast...to make the texture similar, pop it into the toaster after frying so that it can get a little crispy.  Also similar to toast are waffles....you can get some really hearty ones with flax, blueberries, etc. 

I think your lo actually eats pretty well!  It looks like she gets veggies each day, that's great!  And she likes fish and eggs, those are reat protein sources! 

I also think its really important that even if you suspect she won't eat what you and dh are having for diner, put it on her plate anyway....she will get used to seeing differet things, she may touch them, examine them, etc.   Always put some on her dish, along with the foods you know she does like.  :)

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 05:28:49 am »
^^  Anne has a good point.. I am really trying to expand DDs diet right now as well, so I am making it a habit to add one new thing to her plate every few days... sugar peas right now...

There are stages as a child learns about a new food too - this really helped me!

1. they won't allow it on their plate at all (will say no and take it off plate as soon as they spot it!)

2. may give it a funny look, but won't touch it but allow it to stay on plate

3. allow it to stay and don't really react to it being there

4. may touch it, but not attempt to try it

5. may smell it, may or may not taste

6. will taste it, but may not like and put down

7. will taste it again etc...

apparently, they will try it upwards of 10 times before deciding if they like it or not!

We are all about the pink Flintstones here ;)