Author Topic: dropping a bottle?  (Read 1095 times)

Offline katiemgarvin

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • Baby G Makes Three!
dropping a bottle?
« on: March 14, 2013, 01:34:23 am »
I know I have posted a few times recently, but I'm still trying to figure out about LOs number of feeds.  We are on a basic 4-hr EASY starting at 7am.  What I am finding is that he is consistently not eating his 11am bottle.  He gets anywhere from 6-7oz at 7, 3, 7, and DF at 11.  Sometimes, if he takes his whole DF, he will not take his whole morning bottle.  He is 6 months today and weighs 17+ lbs.  I read the new thread about dropping bottles, which was helpful, but since he's still getting his DF, I don't know what to do.  If he's trying to drop a bottle, obviously, I'd like for him to drop that one!!  He has not really started solids other than rice cereal twice a day.  He's been doing that for about a month.  I tried him on green beans and it gave him a horrible belly ache (which went away within 24hrs after I quit giving him those).  So, I wouldn't say he's firmly established on solids.  I'm just looking for some suggestions!  Thanks!

Here's our EASY (b/c I know you'll want it  :))
E: 7:00am wake, bottle (formula, 7ozs with 3tsps rice cereal for reflux)
A: with breakfast of a heaping TBSP of rice cereal sometime between 8-8:30
S: 9-11, anywhere from 45 mins to 1.5hr
E: 11am, 7oz bottle, most days he won't touch it
A: till nap
S: 1-3, same as above
E: 3; bottle, 7 oz with rice cereal, he usually sucks it down if he doesn't eat his 11, but he never cries from hunger before 3
A: till CN
S: ~5:30 CN for about 30 minutes
E: rice cereal around 6, same as above
A: bath
E: 7pm; 7oz bottle with rice cereal
S: 7:30 bedtime
E: 10:45-11 DF, usually 5-6oz

Some days (M and Tues, when I work) he gets rice cereal at 5, and then CN on the drive home from 6-6:30

TIA for the help!

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: dropping a bottle?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 04:16:09 am »
Because he gets a fair bit of rice cereal in his bottles for the reflux issues, i would not give him cereal any other time of day.. it simply fills them up so they won't take milk during the day.. very little in terms of nutrition as well.

Have you tried anything like sweet potato, pears, or avocado - all are good first foods for refluxers and won't fill him for too long...

Offline katiemgarvin

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • Baby G Makes Three!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 11:37:43 am »
He goes to his pediatrician tomorrow for his 6 month well baby check up and I was going to discuss solids with him.  I have bought peas, squash, and sweet potatoes to have to try. 

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 02:33:32 am »
Good idea - let me know what he says...

Offline katiemgarvin

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • Baby G Makes Three!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 18:31:43 pm »
He said try something of a different color like squash or sweet potatoes.  He said maybe his tummy just wasn't ready for green beans!  So, I gave him so some squash at lunch today, so we'll see how that goes.  He also told me he was old enough and heavy enough (17lbs7ozs) to not give him the dream feed and see what happens.  So, we'll try that tonight!  He said it may take him a couple of days and he still might not eat the 11am bottle, but after a couple of days, he'll realize he needs it and will compensate for the lack of dream feed.  We'll see how it goes! 

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 20:38:00 pm »
Sounds like a plan :)

Just remember that he may still need those calories and might start waking at night for a feed ;)  Generally best to reduce the DF over a bit of time (a week or two at most) so that he will shift the calories to daytime :)

Offline katiemgarvin

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • Baby G Makes Three!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 02:09:44 am »
Just a quick update:  we are on night 3 of no DF and so far, so good!  He has been eating his other bottles pretty well (hasn't completely refused his 11am bottle at all).  He might leave one or two ounces, but he's been taking 8 ozs a few times!  The first morning after not getting him up, my husband said he didn't suck his bottle either.  He was hungry, but didn't act like he was starving, so that's good!  He's has woken up a few times, but has been fine with pacis.  Also, on the food front, he's had squash and loves it.  He's been on it since Friday and so far it hasn't bothered him.  I think we're on the right track...thanks for your help!!   

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 03:16:51 am »
Great update!!!!