Author Topic: habitual waking but hungry?  (Read 1364 times)

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
habitual waking but hungry?
« on: March 21, 2013, 18:47:28 pm »
DD is 6 months old and has been waking twice during the night for the past 11 days.  Previously she was tending to wake just once for a feed but has also STTN about half dozen times (although not recently  :-\).  I don't know if her nw's are due to hunger or due to a sleep issue or some other reason....  getting up twice in the night for feeds seems to be a step backwards.  Since the nw's seem to be occurring at the same time each night I wasn't sure if this is a sleep issue or a feeding issue (ie. 6 mo gs but if it is the gs, it seems to be going on for quite a while  :-\

his/her daily routine?
This is an example routine for us:
WU 7:00
E: 7:30 (breast fed)
E (breakfast) around 8:30 (rice cereal)
S: 9:30 to 11:30 (nap length may vary from around 1 hr 15 min to 2 hrs or so)
E:  11:33 (bf)
S:  1:15 to 1:50 (we were out this day)
E:  3:15 (bf)
S: 4:14 to 4:50
E (dinner) 6:30 (pears)
E: 7:23 (bf)
BT: 7:55
E: 12:00
E: 3:36
What’s nap routine?
-If we are at home, wind down routine is diaper change, stories, put into sleep sack, lullaby and put in crib.  For the first two naps, she usually puts herself to sleep but for the CN, I may have to help her settle with shh-rub (on tummy as she sleeps on her back)
How long are naps?
-first two naps of the day are usually 1 hr 15 to 2 hrs.  CN is always short usually 30 min or so.
What's bedtime routine? Time?
- bath, massage, bf, story, into sleep sack, bed.  sometimes she does fall asleep feeding and I'll put her into her sleep sack and put her in her crib.  she usually wakes when I put her into her sleep sack.
-wrt bt, I am trying to get her in bed between 7 and 8 pm
Do you bottle or breastfed??
-breastfeed
How much? or how long?
-recently she has been feeding from both sides where as previously she has been feeding just from one side (and I was block feeding).  Now she fusses after finishing one breast so I put her on the other side.  sometimes I have been putting her back onto the first side again.  Feeds take anywhere from 10 to 30 mins
How many wakes per night?
-usually 2 but sometimes she may wake a third time (more chatty rather than fussing and she puts herself back to sleep)
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up?
-when I feed, she's fussing.  She will eat and then go straight back to sleep
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry?
-I'll go when she's fussing / crying.  She's sharing a room with her older brother so I don't want her to wake him.
What have you tried to settle??
-besides feeding, I'll shh/rub if it's been less than 3/3.5 hrs since last feed
What do you do for A time and how long is it?
-Activities vary  we have to do the school run (mornings from 8:50 to 9:15 and afternoons from around 3:30 to 4 or 4:15 - DS may play in the playground after school), at home, she's on the play mat / tummy time, jolly jumper or exersaucer.  towards the end of her A time, I'll hold her, look out the window, look at pictures on wall, etc).  we will also run errands, etc during A time.
-A time is usually 2 hrs 20 to 30 min.  I try to start the wind down around 2hr 15 min and she usually self settles for naps in 5 to 10 min
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones?
-unfortunately yes, I can see 4 teeth that are coming in.  She has two lower teeth already.
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)
-I just introduced solids to her last week.  I figured she was going through her 6 mo gs which was the reason for the nw's.  Of course, introduction of solids hasn't stopped the nw's.
Do they have a prop? If so what is it?
-don't think so.
Do they have a lovie?
-yes, she has a blankie that she sleeps with.

thanks for looking at my post.  any insights into the nw's and what I could do to reduce them would be much appreciated!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: habitual waking but hungry?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 02:37:54 am »
Sounds like a whole lot of stuff going on at once.  Could be that you need some routine tweaking (namely extending some A times and getting rid of the cat nap -- have you seen this? All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months) and that he's waking because of that -- and then once he's up, it's always nicer to go back to sleep on a full tummy!  Not that he necessarily needs the feeds, but sometimes it's a hard concept to get them to give up.  What do you think?

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 10:43:36 am »
I was aware of the three-two nap dropping but didn't think it was the reason....  I can start to increase her A times but it does get tricky for the pm nap due to the school run.  sometimes i have to wake her up at 3:30 and its a but of a stretch until bt.  Unfortunately I always struggle with evenings and find it hard to get her down before 7 pm.  But I guess in the interim I have to ride these out?  She's def eating as her diapers are huge! 

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 21:46:26 pm »
Apologies for the wrong pronouns for your dd! :) 
School runs are a pain, I know them well.  :(  What you might end up doing is squeezing a CN in once every few days so she doesn't get too OT and riding it out the interim.  I know at that age my ds went through a few weeks where I just couldn't be home at the "right" time for him to nap -- so he was often OT and we had some wake ups in the early hours of the night but did ok aside from that.  I don't know what the "solution" is, aside from just pushing through the best you can, but I will say that James got used to it with time and my OT wakings pretty much stopped.  I would also try to put him to bed early some nights, but I understand that sometimes it's just impossible to do when you've got other kids and other obligations to deal with at night. 

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 23:03:51 pm »
Ok, thanks.  Will push on.  I'm hoping that her food requirements balance out a bit and we can get back o one nw or preferably none!  Then I just need o get my boobs to adjust  ::).

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 15:45:28 pm »
It's been a few weeks now and we pretty much have dropped the CN (unless she wakes up from her afternoon nap before 3 pm).  I've pushed her A time out a bit although I have to say that I'm not always consistent with it.  eg. Monday and Tuesday she had a 3 hr A before her nap and did alright (2 hr nap and a 1 hr 15 min nap) but today I did put her down a half hour early as we have a music class.  Of course she's still napping so we've missed the class and she's pushing a 2 hr nap after an A of 2.5 hrs  ???.  For the afternoon naps, I'm still trying to balance when to put her down and the school run at 3:30 so sometimes her A is shortened so that she gets at least a 45 -60 min nap before we have to go.

She's doing fairly well with solids.  Usually getting three meals a day plus 4 milk feeds during the day and of course, two night feeds, which I'd like to drop one or ideally both.

She now has 6 teeth in but I think she's starting on her lower incisors so it seems the teething never ends at this age. 

Her bt is usually around 7 to 7:30.

Any suggestions on how I can get her to drop one of the feeds?  She's still waking around midnight - 1 am and then usually 3.5 to 4 hrs after that.  I feed and she goes right back to sleep.  If I try to wean one of the feeds, which do you recommend?  Or should I try a df before I go to bed in the hopes that she will just wake once? 

Thanks!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 03:16:54 am »
Is she feeding equally at both feeds (does she take more at one than the other)?  At this point, you'd probably be beginning to think of dropping the df, so I'd be hesitant to introduce it.  I would probably pick a time that you won't feed before (probably split the difference between the two wakings) and resettle however you can before then -- it's important to note that you have to make sure that she's asleep before you feed her, even if you have reached your set feeding time (even if she's only asleep for a few minutes) as otherwise you will have taught her that crying for a long time gets you fed.  Keep in mind that she might have a hard time dropping those feeds, some LOs do seem to need them still at her age, but it's worth a shot. 

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 16:24:23 pm »
She doesn't always take the same amount at both feeds but it's not really consistent.  I'd say normally she takes more at the first feed but I know the other night she didn't but then I think that DS woke her up instead of her waking up on her own so that may have been a comfort feed  :-\

So last night she woke at 12:30 (bt was at 7:20) and then she slept until 6 am which is the longest stretch she's done in a long time after the first night feed  :).

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 02:42:31 am »
Yay!  She's trying to confuse you, isn't she?  ;)