Author Topic: Moving from BF on demand to EASY 4 hourly feeds... Help?!  (Read 910 times)

Offline hit12

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Moving from BF on demand to EASY 4 hourly feeds... Help?!
« on: April 08, 2013, 09:11:58 am »
LO is 6.5 months and up until now has been fed on demand. For a long while he was feeding every 1-2 hours, even overnight. Lately he has been stretching his feeds out to more like 2-4 hourly and having 3-4 night feeds!

I made the decision to try EASY as night wakings are now making life pretty miserable! So for the past 2 nights I only fed him at 11pm and 3am, in the hope that restricting night feeds will discourage his frequent waking... I also stuck to 7am, 11am, 3pm and 6pm for bf during the day. Last night he woke up about 4 times between going to bed at 6.30 and 9.30 (his usual time for first feed) he then stayed awake moaning with hubby rocking him til I fed him at 11pm.

How do I know if he is hungry or if it's habit?! I feel terrible that I could be ignoring his needs if he's actually hungry :(

I'm also working on lengthening his naps - so today he went to sleep at 9 and woke up just before half past. When I picked him up to try to rock him back to sleep (only way he will fall asleep), he turned his head with mouth open going for the boob. He often does this when I try to resettle him - again, how do I know if its hunger it habit?!

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any advice you can give!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 09:16:03 am by hit12 »

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: Moving from BF on demand to EASY 4 hourly feeds... Help?!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 10:51:09 am »
Well, you can't really know for sure but you can know that hunger can be habitual - like, if he is used to being fed 5 times a night he will respond to that by becoming hungry five times a night. Also if he's used to being nursed to sleep at every waking, he's just as likely to be looking to nurse for comfort as out of hunger. That said, a six month old being a little bit hungry for an hour or so isn't the end of the world. He will likely take fuller, bigger feeds if they are spaced out a bit more, so he will take in more calories over all. It can take a few days/nights to get used to the new routine. I guess you are also giving solids at this point too?

Offline hit12

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Moving from BF on demand to EASY 4 hourly feeds... Help?!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 21:47:27 pm »
Yep we've started solids but they are minimal as doing BLW so not much actually being swallowed yet! I guess I will stick with it a few days and see how he goes... Thanks for the reassurance :)