Author Topic: 1 year old - ready to stop formula??  (Read 1946 times)

Offline Jodileen

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Have 2 beautiful boys xxx
1 year old - ready to stop formula??
« on: April 08, 2013, 12:51:46 pm »
Hi guys,

My little boy is 1 on Sunday. He is currently getting 4 bottles of formula a day typically 45 minutes before his breakfast, lunch or dinner. When do I go onto whole milk or should I go onto follow on milk? Also how do i transition. Do I offer the whole milk as I normally would - 45 minutes before?

I look forward to your replies xxx
Love my boys very much xxx

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: 1 year old - ready to stop formula??
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 13:38:46 pm »
My LO is 11.5 months and we were previously on 3 x 8oz bottles per day, but recently he started refusing his afternoon bottle.  So we do 2 x 8oz bottles at wake up and bedtime, and then whole milk in a sippy at lunch.  Whatever he doesn't take at lunch I dump and offer a new cup after his PM nap.  He is starting to slack on his wake up bottle, but I'm going to try to hang onto it for a little while longer.

In any case, I think it is best to wean 1 bottle at a time and start with the daytime bottles first, then the morning one, then eventually the bedtime one (though I find lots of people don't wean that one for quite a while).

Offline Jodileen

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Have 2 beautiful boys xxx
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 18:21:56 pm »
Ok gosh he loves his bottles that's why I am probably overthinking it all
Love my boys very much xxx

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 05:16:25 am »
just moving you over to Eating For Toddlers :)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 07:14:32 am »
I think it is best to wean 1 bottle at a time and start with the daytime bottles first, then the morning one, then eventually the bedtime one
It's advised to drop bottles at 1yo moving all drinks and milks to a cup (whatever sort you choose, sippy, straw, open etc). I agree with dropping them one at a time and taking out the daytime ones first, and it's true many people keep the BT bottle until last, but I'd advise to drop the BT bottle and keep the morning one until last.  More liquid in the morning helps to increase bladder size and muscle control for when it comes to PTing and less fluid in the evening/BT also helps.  If you keep the BT milk you need to consider oral hygiene and brush teeth after the milk.
WRT number of bottles I would switch the mid morning and mid afternoon bottles immediately and offer a small solids snack with a cup of water.  You might be surprised how easily your LO switches despite appearing to enjoy the bottles.
WRT switching to cows milk.  I just switched without issue all in one go.  If your LO doesn't accept the change in flavour you can mix cows milk with formula an oz at a time gradually making it more cows milk.