Author Topic: Nearly 2 and still has BT bottle  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Mummy23boys

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Nearly 2 and still has BT bottle
« on: April 13, 2013, 09:40:35 am »
Is this really bad? ??? I know we should have dropped it ages ago but I guess we kept putting it off. Now he will have 9oz and sit down on the couch happy out drinking it away, he even asks for a top up! He is extremely spirited and I swear its like he's an adult sometimes lol! I'm hoping to have it gone completely by the time he's 2 so I have 2 months to do it!! I did try it in a beaker ad that lasted a few nights and then he had a complete meltdown and we caved! DS2 is 6 months old so when he sees us feeding him he gets jealous and wants his bottle!

Is 2 years quite old to be still having a bottle at BT? He doesn't have it in bed or anything like that, it's gone before he goes up to bed. I know people who have had all bottles gone by 18 months so feeling the pressure as he is getting older! Lol :)

❤❤❤❤

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 119
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 11:53:49 am »
Ds1 had a bottle until he was about 2 as well :-[. I stopped it mainly because of ds2, I didn't want any confusion or jealousy over bottles etc! We went cold turkey, he actually didn't have any milk for a few weeks (he was super spirited too) but we stuck with it and went back to a sippy happily in the end. I would get the bottles out of the house so you are not tempted to cave in, he has already shown you he is happy to drink it from another source so I would go with it. Hth

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Nearly 2 and still has BT bottle
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 21:52:08 pm »
Moving you over to Eating for Toddlers...

My DD was 25 months when I cut her BT bottle cold turkey - there is a thread in the Eating for Toddlers section somewhere... it was just a few months ago!

The biggest concern with a bottle of milk at this age is teeth.. so long as you are brushing them after his milk, you can leave him be if it is going to be a big stressful battle.

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 22:03:22 pm »
Yep totally agree about the teeth. My dd2 was over 2yo when she stopped having a bottle, and I know plenty who've been knocking and over 3 with one! I don't really think it's that big a deal if it's just that one time in the day, it keeps him calm, and his teeth are brushed after :)
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline Mummy23boys

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 13:38:49 pm »
Thanks so much ladies!

It is only that one time about 7pm and his teeth are brushed afterwards. I will have a look for that thread Kara thanks. Think I will hang on another little while, i'll aim for it to be gone in or around his 2nd birthday! ::o He is SUPER DUPER spirited so I know he will fight me LOL!

M :D

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 13:56:48 pm »
Ds was bf until 19 months, drank water from a sippy straw cup at 7 months, drank water out of mugs, shot glasses, cups and sippys at 1 yr, but he had his bedtime bottle ( his beloved bot bot ) until 3 yrs!  I never worried, it was his comfort and would only drink milk from a boob or a bot bot.  He had it around 6 pm chill out time, we always brushed after and like you guys, didn't walk around with it or drink anything else out of it.  We were both sad to see it go at 3 yrs.  If your child drinks water from other vessels, I don't see a problem with it once a day.  To this day at 7 years he only drinks water, milk or tea.  Never asks for juice or pop.