Author Topic: 4 month old refusing bedtime feed then waking up hungry  (Read 607 times)

Offline sarahmillington

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
4 month old refusing bedtime feed then waking up hungry
« on: April 19, 2013, 07:32:40 am »
Hi everyone this is the first time i've posted...

My 4 month old son has had a nighttime routine since 4 weeks old and only wakes once during the night to feed usually around 4-5am. We started daytime EASY about 6 weeks ago to help with daytime naps and stop overtiredness. For the first few weeks it worked brilliantly but then for the last month he is refusing a feed around bedtime. He just doesnt seem to be hungry but is very very tired. Usually I end up settling him down without being fed which is very difficult and feels wrong! He then wakes up 2-3 hours later ravenous and will eat loads!! I can't seem to get the day and night EASY to work together! I've tried feeding before and after bath, earlier and later but can't seem to get it right!

He's bottle fed and we're on a 3.5hr routine
Here's a good day on our routine:

7:30am Wake
8am Feed (as he's not hungry earlier) eats around 3oz and Play
9am Sleep
11am Wake, Feed (eats around 5-6oz) Play
12:30pm Sleep
2:30pm Wake, Feed (eats around 5-6oz) Play
4pm Sleep
4:45pm Wake, Play
6pm Try to feed (sometimes he eats 2-3oz)
6:30pm Bath
6:45pm Try more food (usually screams and won't entertain it as he is shattered)
7pm Sleep
9pm Wakes (if he hasn't eaten before bed) eats 7-9oz
10:30pm Dreamfeed (if he eats before bed) Eats 6-7oz
4 or 5am Eats 6oz

Really need your help with this it's driving me crazy!!
Many thanks!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 4 month old refusing bedtime feed then waking up hungry
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 09:27:45 am »
I think you need to move him to a 4hr routine. Because his earlier A times are only 1.5hrs he is having a long 2hr A time after a short 45min CN right before bed and as you have seen he is too OT to eat.
I would add 10-15mins onto the first and second A time for a few days and then add another 10-15mins and see if that helps to redistribute the naps to later in the day so he is less tired at BT.
What do you think?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011