Author Topic: Meals for 1yr old on a long flight  (Read 1641 times)

Offline My little Liam

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
Meals for 1yr old on a long flight
« on: April 29, 2013, 15:28:44 pm »
Anyone have any idea how I prepare for this? I. 3 weeks we are going on holiday and have an 11hr flight ahead of us. What can I feed DS? What should I bring with me for meals? I am really worried I will have nothing to feed him on the plane...

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 15:36:39 pm »
what will you eat on the plane? i basically give my DD what i eat just chopped up.

you can buy some stuff at the airport before you go. take some fresh fruit and grab a plastic knife for cutting at the airport, crackers, cheese, yogurt... we have lots or organic baby food in stores in those bags that babies can suck up.  they are kinda like a smoothie. how about nut butter & jelly sandwich? you could try sunflower butter if you don't want to try peanut butter, etc.

i use disposable bibs when i'm traveling or at a restaurant and also those disposable little placemats. i also have a little tray that snaps around the car seat that we use in the car for travel & eating (or my older DS but would work as a food tray in this instance)

heather

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
Re: Meals for 1yr old on a long flight
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 15:40:01 pm »
I will be eating plane food... Gross!  :-X
I know I could brings snacks, the only thing that worries me is that he will still be hungry... He is a big eater!

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 15:49:43 pm »
so are my kids, just bring lots of snacks :p

yea, would not want to feed my kids plane food either although my 6 yo would prob love it.  however, if my baby sees me eating any food she will want it!

oh cold pasta salad is another idea......

do you have a layover? can always grab more food then too.

i flew with my 10.5 mo to spain and i don't remember it being terrible. it was overnight heading there so he eventually slept and coming back was during the day so ate more.
heather

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 16:03:34 pm »
I guess i'll just have to make lots of food ahead of time...I have a layover but the first flight is only 1hr so I don't know how helpful it will be.

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 16:16:17 pm »
i always take sandwhiches (jelly, butter and so on) and cold pasta with parmesan and olive oil. Stays well. I keep the cheese seperate. I also take rice and yoghurt mixed together and my boys love it. Cheese sticks are another option. I have insulated food carriers which i use. fruits, the little tube like stuff that nona mentioned work well too. cereal bars although your LO might be little but you could take cheerios and other dry cereal

we do 16hr flights every year! I must say i letthem pver snack but its 2 days a year IYKWIM and keeps sanity so am ok with it/. But its snacks i approve, like nuts, crackers, cheese a piece of cake from my tray and so on. i almost never let them eat the airline food that really tends to be crap.
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 17:00:13 pm »
He is intolerant to dairy except for yogurt so that makes things a bit more difficult

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 17:12:16 pm »
I have always had to take meals for Olly so a bit of a dab hand  ;)! At 1 YO I would have been stocking up on Organic pouches I am afraid though. Now Olly is older I would probably fill him up before the flight on meats etc that don;t keep well for that long and then take some cold pasta, bananas, soy yoghurt (they don't need to be refridgeratated), Goodies flapjacks, rice cakes, crudites etc. I would def keep a stash of sandwiches though if Olly could eat them.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 17:17:06 pm »
So you'd want things which don't desperately need chilling ideally?  What about fruit, savoury muffins, dried fruit, vegetable sticks, water for drinks, cheese scones, slices of no added sugar cake.  That would be a fairly balanced meal even though it's all snacky just in case the aeroplane food is awful.  Lots of planes do sandwiches though but I have to admit I'd do the same.  Even if he ate the aeroplane food, when it is hot it tends to be nuclear (and awful) and when it's sandwiches you might not have a choice on filling.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/