Author Topic: Hi!  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Jendodds

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 06, 2013, 13:18:47 pm »
Hello Everyone,

This is not my first time using this site, it has so be helpful for me with my baby girl, Bethany, she is 9months old.

I am posting here because I don't know what subject this would come under, but I really would appreciate some advice on travel.  Bethany SCREAMS all the time she is in car seat.  If I manage to time it perfectly (doesn't happen often) she will fall asleep with minimum fuss but if she wakens and we are still in car she screams. I have just done. 2 1/2 hr drive to & from Scotland. NIGHTMARE!!

She is forward facing, has a mirror in front of her, toys, she never wears a coat as I thought this might be making her uncomfortable, and suggestions would be wonderful, she has hated car seat forever!!

Thanks  :)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Hi!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 14:40:09 pm »
Sorry I never had this problem so don't have BTDT experience. However I did find when we got a new car seat for DS it really helped to keep it in the house for several weeks.  I've also seen this approach used in one of the TV nanny programmes.  Bring the car seat indoors where she is able to fully explore it in her own time and become adjusted to it.  Initially don't make her sit in it or anything just have it there.  After a few days encourage her to sit in it to play but don't force her and don't make it a set time that she has to stay in.  If she likes books reading to her and looking at picture books together could be a good way to encourage her to sit in and be distracted at the same time.  This should help to reduce her anxiety over the seat and also build up good, loving associations with the seat.  You may be able to play a story CD in your car, a story you have read her over and over at home, to help her stay calm and remember the loving feelings of one to one attention when at home in the seat.  If she isn't into books use any game or toy she enjoys to give her quality one to one time in the seat at home, and perhaps play some music she can build an association to so the music goes in the car with you.

Also if she has a lovey take it with you in the car.