Author Topic: How much play do you allow at the table?  (Read 1939 times)

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
How much play do you allow at the table?
« on: May 18, 2013, 17:41:34 pm »
As per the subject line really. ... What do you allow in terms of toys or games at the table?  My daughter is very imaginative and although we don't allow toys at the table (one can sit by us and "watch"), she's constantly making up games or scenarios where we all play a part and have to act out a scene.  Sometimes she'll turn the actual eating into a game and will ask us to watch her while she eats in a different way or something.

I want her to enjoy meal times and don't expect her to join in adult conversation but is it too much to ask to have a bit of a chat about our day and for her to eat more than she plays?! It feels like she's old enough to start understanding how to behave during meal time without making it another play session.  I try to remind her to keep eating or we can't play but then she just says she's full and asks to get down so she can play some more.

How much play does everyone else allow and does anyone have any tactics for encouraging her to start getting used to some slightly more family oriented behaviour at the table?

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
Re: How much play do you allow at the table?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 17:51:30 pm »
 I think I'd go along with any verbal games, as long as dinner could continue while it was happening, yk? Food is fun...dinner is social, yk?  You could always bring it back down....talk about each others best parts of the day, ask questions like 'what made you laugh today'...stuff like that. We kind of have non-stop cahtter at our dinner table....(my kid eats like there is no tomorrow though, so I don't have to worry about that!)...and I think as long as the noise level doesn't get crazy, and everyone is still eating, then I'd be fine with it.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 18:02:14 pm »
We kind of have non-stop cahtter at our dinner table....(my kid eats like there is no tomorrow though, so I don't have to worry about that!)...and I think as long as the noise level doesn't get crazy, and everyone is still eating, then I'd be fine with it.

I agree...mine both chat through a meal (Masyn needs reminders to keep her bum in her seat frequently) but as long as it doesn't get out of hand (or involve the food as part of the play) I would just let it be.
Heidi

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 19:18:29 pm »
I'd say it will take a good couple of years before she will properly participate in dinner time conversation and if she's still sat at the table, eating and at least chatting in some form you are doing well!

Dinner with DS is only just getting enjoyable now, and he is 5yo.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 19:57:20 pm »
Ok, great, thanks. It just feels like we're playing way more than eating some days. I'm not really worried about how much she eats - she's slim but not skinny and eats a good range of food and everything.  I just feel like we should be heading towards some sort of table manners or rules,  though thinking about it i guess we do have them (ditto on the no-playing-with-food rule) it's just that the play sort of takes over it all! I'll leave her be though and polish off my best "big bad wolf" voice for the latest favourite game!

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 20:04:26 pm »
^^Awww...that sounds like fun.   :)   You can always dial it back a bit though if things get unruly..."That isn't so much a dinner-table game, so let's save that one for later."   

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 03:24:15 am »
Yeah, thanks.  I guess as always it's about being lead by her with a bit of mummy guidance thrown in!  :)