Author Topic: Going Backwards with 8.5 MO NW!  (Read 1230 times)

Offline theu.s.lees

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
    • Neyssa Lee Photography
Going Backwards with 8.5 MO NW!
« on: May 21, 2013, 15:58:01 pm »
DH and I are just so lost and feeling overwhelmed and exhausted with S's NW! She was STTN for several days in a row and then went back to one NW, and then two, and so it continues. The past few nights have been 2 NW (1 & 4) and I fear that she's starting a habit instead of just waking. I'm sure that there is a WW coming up and she's cutting teeth (I think) but isn't there anything that can help?

Our EASY is struggling a bit. We are getting good naps, but somedays she's doing 3+ hrs A time followed by a 1.5-2 hr nap and other days she can only manage a 2.5 hr A time. BT is 6:30-7 usually or 3 hrs from wu from her pm nap. 

I'm nursing at the NW. I try not to, but give in as I'm so tired. Should I just stop nursing at night all together?

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
Re: Going Backwards with 8.5 MO NW!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 16:35:27 pm »
That sounds exactly like DD 2 weeks ago.  I think for us it was a combination of ww and teeth.  Do you give any meds before bed?  I ended up nursing her for all the NWs too because I was just too tired.  For a few of them, I tried patting but it just ended up costing more sleep for both of us.  All of a sudden, her nights settled down and the nursing didn't become a habit because she's STTN again the last few nights.

I also added in some snacks during the day (bf and solids) in case they were hunger wakings (she was eating a lot at each NF) so maybe that helped too.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline PaulsMom

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 19:14:21 pm »
hugs Neyssa.  If she's cutting teeth then sometimes they just want to nurse because it does help them.  My DD was like that from 6 mo to 7 mo... twice a night (ugh), pretty much every night but we got 5 teeth!  LL has given you good advice.  Other than that, would you consider bottle feeding her.  Then may be DH could do one of the feeds while you get some ZZZs? 

Offline theu.s.lees

• Showing Appreciation 12
    • Neyssa Lee Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 22:14:00 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I do give meds before BT (and even sometimes during the day if she's struggling to eat much). I also realized today that she's had her amber necklace off since Wednesday (I took it off and forgot to put it on) and that's kind of when problems started. SO maybe it is helping at least a little bit. It's back on, and I will stick with nursing and hope teeth come sometime soon!

We've tried a bottle (of both EBM and formula) but she won't take either. I posted on the bottle boards for advice. But she just won't take it. If we put EBM in a sippy cup she will take it, but she's spilly with them still and won't touch formula. We've tried several kinds (there aren't many soy options) but won't take them. We've had to do EBM by syringe even and that works but takes forever. Plus, we don't have a lot of EBM backup so it isn't worth it for me to have DH give her that at night, unless I've really had it! She will, however, drink soy milk (M gave her his bottle without my realizing right away) and drank a lot. Of course, they're not supposed to have that yet so we're not doing that. But it proves she can drink from a bottle!

LL - What does your day look like WRT feedings? WHat kinds of snacks do you do and when? Right now we have

WU/BF - 6:45
E - 8 (oatmeal, avacado, fruit)
E/BF - 11ish (or when she's up from her am nap)
E - 12ish (rice, beans, oatmeal, yams, that kind of thing)
E/BF - 3:30/4 (usually a quick nurse)
E - 5 dinner
BF just before BT