Author Topic: 10 month old wakes every night for no reason!  (Read 991 times)

Offline Kato2

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
10 month old wakes every night for no reason!
« on: June 01, 2013, 06:49:15 am »
I've posted on here before about my sons night wakings and thought I had sorted the issue as he sttn but it only lasted 3 nights because he started cutting another tooth!

Teeth are now through and he's back to his fabulous self but is still waking every night! It's not the same time each night an he's not hungry or in pain. He just wants me to settle him. He can re plug his own dummy but seems to now choose not to. He goes down at bed time awake and self settles so I don't understand the waking. He is 10 months old in 5 days.

His routine is:

6am wakes and comes into bed for extra hour
7am wakes for day
7.30 breakfast and bottle 7oz
10am-10.15am nap
12-12.15 awake
12.30 lunch
2 bottle 4oz
3.15 nap
4 awake
5.30 dinner
7 bath and bottle 7oz
7.30 bed
Theo James born 06-08-12
The Cheekiest monkey I know!

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: 10 month old wakes every night for no reason!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 00:07:57 am »
Hi Kato,

too bad the STTN was short lived but at least you know he can do it! 

A couple of thoughts on his waking....
What's he doing when he wakes?  Is he crying or just fussing or chatting?  if he's chatting or just fussing a bit, I would leave him to see if he can self settle?  Go in if he escalates to crying and needs you though. 

The other thing is that he may be moving towards the 2-1 nap transition.  Since he's taking a long am nap and a short pm nap, what you may end up doing is slowly pushing his am nap later and keep the CN so that he's not OT by BT.  here's some info on the 2-1 transition:
From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)

Offline Kato2

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 20:23:22 pm »
Thanks for your reply. He wakes up and is crying. He now and again will go straight off to sleep as soon as I put his dummy in and re settle him for a minute but sometime he will cry and reach for me. Those nights can take quite a while to settle him and he seems to be desperate for a cuddle
Theo James born 06-08-12
The Cheekiest monkey I know!

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 01:46:56 am »
Will he re-plug himself if there are enough paci's in his crib?  How often is he waking? 

When he's desperate for a cuddle, pick him up, cuddle him but then put him back and try to settle him in the crib.  Say your sleepy phrase, pat the crib mattress or his tummy (or back) to calm him.  Make sure he has his teddy.  I would use a gentle removal plan strategy so that gradually over time, he settles himself and is less reliant on you.