Author Topic: S.O.S - 5 month old NW and 30 min naps  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
S.O.S - 5 month old NW and 30 min naps
« on: June 04, 2013, 14:18:37 pm »
My DS2 is 5 months and is suddenly not sleeping at night for stretches longer than 2 hours. He use to wake 1-2 times an quickly went back to sleep. Now he goes to bed around 7:30 and wakes at 11:30 (sometimes at 9:30), then at 1:30. I usually try to resettle him at this point but end up feeding him around 2:00. The then will be wide awake for another hour or so. He will fall asleep then his eyes pop back open! GRRR!

Here is a typical schedule (This was yesterday). We are working on getting to a 4hr EASY:

7:00 wake up and BF
9:00 sleep for 30-40 minutes. (If I can, I will help him back to sleep and he may sleep for 1.5 hours.)
9:45 A time
10:30-11:00 BF
11:20- sleep 2-2.5 hours (I usually have to AP some of this nap)
2:00 A time
2:30 BF
4:10 sleep catnap 40 minutes
6:30 BF
6:50 Bath, BT routine
7:15 -7:30 sleep

Last night he was sleeping by 7:30. He woke up at 11:30. My DH went into settle him back to sleep. If I go in, he wants to eat. He woke again at 1:30 and DH couldn't get him to sleep so I fed him. He was then up until 3:30. I fed him at 2:00 and then he just would fall sleep nursing but then wake up when I put him in his crib. I would try resettling him over and over but he would only fall asleep for a few minutes and then wake back up. So I left him to lie there quietly but then once he started fussing I would go back and try again (trying to keep DS1 asleep!). Finally DH went back in and settled him back to sleep at 3:30. He woke again at 5:50. We tried to get him back to sleep again but he kept waking up after a few minutes. Sigh. So I fed him at 6:30. He stayed awake until 8:30 and only slept 30 minutes so I know he is OT.

He is swaddled but busting out all the time. Part of the problem. Trying to wean but he does terribly with one arm out. He also uses a paci but doesn't seem dependent on it.

He has reflux but I think it is under control. He also seems to have intolerances with my diet that part is under control for now I believe. I have been down this road with DS1 so I am familiar reflux and intolerances. Maybe he is waking because of these things but he doesn't seem uncomfortable. Just awake! Do I push A times? 

I am at a loss. He was doing so well with sleep and then it all feel apart about a week ago.

Katie

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: S.O.S - 5 month old NW and 30 min naps
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 02:06:46 am »
Hugs for the nw's.  It's hard when they were doing well but seemingly overnight things change!

A couple of thoughts -
If you want to increase your As, I'd start with the first one, just a bit (10 - 15 min).  I've noticed that his A before his CN is long so this may be contributing to a bit of OT prior to BT.

What's he doing developmentally?  is he starting to roll?  Around this age, some bubs, resist the swaddle.  If he's not doing well with one arm out, what type of swaddle are you using?  I've heard great things about the woombie type of swaddle.  However, if he's rolling, then I would bite the bullet and wean the swaddle.

Do you think he's teething?  sometimes the teeth are starting to move around and will disrupt sleep.  Check out his mouth to see if there is any teeth ready to cut. 

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 02:05:42 am »
Thanks PaulsMom!

So is 2 hours and 10 minutes too long after a really long nap for a 5 month old? What kind of A time would you suggest?
Do you think he A time is too long after CN before bedtime? I feel like it might.

He hasn't rolled over yet but he is probably working on it! So if the NW are due to developmental stuff... how long does that disturbance usually last? I think I will have to wean the swaddle but I dread it. We tried 2 weeks ago and he got so overtired that he was a mess after just a day. We have the woombie but he would still wake up because he arms were not really secure! I haven't tried it lately so maybe I will try that.

I don't think he is teething yet... checked is gums tonight! :)

Last night he was up at 10:00, 10:30, 12:30, 1:50 and then slept until 4:50. I finally fed him at 4:50. He was easy to resettle but just so many wake ups! I will try to adjust his A times and see if it makes a difference. We are going out of town this weekend so that will probably mess everything up! Thanks for your help!
Katie

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 02:30:38 am »
boo for the nws! 

OK, I think the As are actually pretty good except for the last one after the CN.  Do you think you could try an earlier BT around 6:45 to 7 pm?

Quote (selected)
So if the NW are due to developmental stuff... how long does that disturbance usually last?
  Gee, that's a hard one to answer because some of it depends on what they are doing during the day.  Give him lots of opportunity to practice during the day as this will make things easier (eventually) at night.  With my DS, his rolling probably disturbed his sleep for a few weeks but I also know this was paired with teething  :P

Quote (selected)
We have the woombie but he would still wake up because he arms were not really secure!
  If this is the case, I would start to wean the swaddle as this is probably contributing to the nws.  Start with just one arm out if you can and see how he does for naps.  He may surprise you and do well without the swaddle.  What kind of temperament is he?

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 02:54:01 am »
He is a pretty easy baby... I would say textbook. I have done 1 arm out for his first nap and CN a few times. I am scared to do it for his second nap because that is the one I can extend or he sleeps long by himself! :)

I think the swaddle does contribute to his NW but he also just seems to wake up because of something else. I think he is very OT tonight. He didn't go to bed until 7:50 because DS1 came in his room just as I got DS2 to sleep and it woke him up. We had to start all over again and it took an extra 20 minutes! He has already been up twice. :(

I will try moving up bedtime. I use to work until 6:30 but today was my last day working late! So I will be able to get him down earlier at night.

Thanks again for your help!
Katie

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 14:52:42 pm »
Gosh, it's hard with two isn't it? 

If he's textbook, then he may be alright with the one arm out for naps and then try at bt.  I had to wean my dd cold turkey from her swaddle since she started to roll.  She was fine!  In fact, she took to side and tummy sleeping on her own.

Keep us posted on how things go.