Author Topic: 8 month old night wakings every 4 hours to feed ...  (Read 1306 times)

Offline ismaeelsmummy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
8 month old night wakings every 4 hours to feed ...
« on: June 06, 2013, 11:13:06 am »
Hi

I have been on here before re night wakings and have took advices on board but haven't really got anywhere. I am really tired and due back at work in 2 weeks and am hoping my lo starts sleeping through. I have tried giving him water instead of milk but he just gets angry and upset. I have tries pick up put down but because he gets really angry n starts fighting me it has made me quite inconsistent. I always think it doesn't help calm him at night and wakes up my hubby who needs to get up early. I am looking for some way to reduce or stop night feeding and waking  He eats and sleeps better during the day but is still waking at night. This is our easy routine. .

Wu 7-7.30
E 8 milk 6oz
Solids an hour or so later
A 3hrs
S 10-10.30 1.5hr

E 11.30-12 doesn't really drink much at this time 2-3oz
Solids at 12-1230
A 3hrs
S 1-1.5h

E 3oclock 6oz
A 3 hrs
Solids at 4.30-5

Cat nap (sometimes?) At 5-6pm

Bt at 8

This is our routine .. it differs depending on wu times from naps etc
He doesn't always take a CNap sometimes he wakes up 4pm fron nap n then I just put him to bed at bt
It depends on when he takes his nap n what time he wakes up

I would appreciate any help thnx

E

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: 8 month old night wakings every 4 hours to feed ...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 12:03:52 pm »
Sorry to hear that things continue to be difficult.  Thanks for posting your routine but I'm wondering when the second nap occurs.  Is it around 2:30 or 3 pm?  If its at 1 pm, then his middle A time is really short.

Is it possible to bring bt earlier?  That way you can drop the cn.

When he wakes at night, what's he doing?  What time are the wake ups?  And is he an independent sleeper?

Offline ismaeelsmummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 14:30:12 pm »
His 2nd nap is around 2-3pm give or take half hour.

He wakes up 11pm-12am, 4am-5am then up at 6am-7am

When he wakes between 11pm -12pm he usually has milk and pretty much falls asleep
He wakes crying at 4-5am I feed him as he just wont settle. But still tries to pull himself up to sitting position. When he does get to sitting position hes quite awake. He doesnt take much milk at this time.
He then wakes up for the around 6.30 and has milk

He isn't an independent sleeper and wont settle on his own but is ok when I pat him n usually nods off. He then wakes a few more times fussing before he actually drops off.

X

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 20:20:37 pm »
He wakes crying at 4-5am I feed him as he just wont settle. But still tries to pull himself up to sitting position. When he does get to sitting position hes quite awake. He doesnt take much milk at this time.
Ok, so there are some developmental stuff going on.  This is typical of this age unfortunately.  Babies will practice stuff in their sleep and it is disruptive!  Unfortunately you have to ride this out...  but, give him plenty of time to practice during the day.  The sooner he masters these skills, the sooner he'll stop practicing in his sleep!  If he's standing up or sitting up, then lay him back down, say your sleepy phrase (if you have one) and pat him so he knows that it's time to sleep. 

He isn't an independent sleeper and wont settle on his own but is ok when I pat him n usually nods off. He then wakes a few more times fussing before he actually drops off.
Actually, that's not too bad.  What I would do is gradually withdraw the patting.  You could either stop patting sooner so he's only drowsy when you stop or you could just rest your hand on him while he drifts off.  Gradually over time, you can be there until he's drowsy and then eventually you can just put him in his crib.  It will take a bit of time but it is well worth it!  Just be careful, if he's OT, then he'll need you more but if he's not OT, then continue with your gradual withdrawal process.

WRT the routine, I would increase the 2nd A so that he's up for at least 3 hrs, may be 3.25 hrs.  I would also drop the CN and bring BT forward so that he's going to bed roughly 3 hrs after his afternoon nap.  Does that sound ok?

Offline ismaeelsmummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 21:45:09 pm »
Yes I did think some of it may be developmental .. hes a very hyper little boy. Yes I totally understand I have been trying to keep up with the withdrawal but he has quite a few bouts of being poorly so have been knocked of track. He is sitting up and has pulled himself to standing position today.. he is quite clingy during the day so have a feeling separation anxiety mayb kicking in too.

So do u think hes not hungry at night then? I would love to stop night feeds but not sure how

Thnx for the help.

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 02:40:32 am »
Quote (selected)
hes a very hyper little boy.
  My DS was the same.  very busy.  Is your DS crawling?  If yes, make sure he's really active during the day as it will help with his sleep if his body is physically tired.

Quote (selected)
So do u think hes not hungry at night then?
  If he's taking a good feed at midnight, then I think he's hungry (note, he may be feeling hungry but he may not *need* to be fed as long as he's taking in enough milk and food during the day, growing well and meeting his developmental milestones).  I don't think he's hungry around 4-5 am though.  try to make sure he is taking good full feeds during the day as well as good meals throughout the day.  this should help with him not "needing" to be fed at night.  I would start to just settle him without feeding at one of the nw's.  the 4-5 am one seems to be the obvious one since he's not taking much milk anyway.