Author Topic: Four to five wakings between 9:30 and morning  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Moma of two

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Four to five wakings between 9:30 and morning
« on: July 12, 2013, 17:44:58 pm »
My little girls will be a year in two weeks.  I am got her down to one nap for the last two weeks.  She hasn't slept through the night since maybe 5 months although she has been on EAsY since birth.  Most recently she s standing in crib screaming each time.  I lay her down and oat her bum until she falls asleep.  Obviously this lack of sleep s taking it's toll as I also have a 3.5 year old.  Any suggestions?

To get her to sleep I rock her in the chair for a bit.  Put her down and pat her to sleep.  I know I have to break her of this but it has been a bit of a survival thing as DH was watching her for the past 8 months.

Up. Btwn 6:30 and 7:00 ( last 2 days 6)

Nap 12:30 - 12:45. Sleeps for 1.5 to 1.75 hours

Night bottle at 7:30 asleep t 7:45 then the night wakings start at 9:30 and the most others are after 12:30

Offline Violet's mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
Re: Four to five wakings between 9:30 and morning
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 00:26:55 am »
Maybe try an earlier bedtime?  Since she just stopped 2 naps - I think the BW suggests that for a little while to keep them from being OT.  I'm no expert but thought I'd make a suggestion.  And while I don't agree with the guy who wrote Healthy Sleep Habits on a lot of things, he does study sleep and did mention that too late a bedtime can lead to night wakings.

**Tracy**

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 12:52:24 pm »
I agree. She sounds OT to me. At this age on one nap, most are doing only about 5hr A before and after and they're day is not longer than 12hr. Ideally, it would look something like this...

Wake 6:30-7am
Nap 12-2pm
BT 6:30-7pm

While it sounds like OT is the main issue, I think the other part of the problem is a patting prop.  I'd work on getting the routine on track first and then tackle the patting. You should be able to wean it by gradually doing it less and less (having her settle mostly to your voice) and then gradually working your way out of the room.

HTH! :)

Offline Moma of two

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 18:31:44 pm »
Great I forgot my day length needs to shorten.  It seems like such an early bedtime.  I will have to work on that.  I am terrified of getting even earlier mornings.  I also didn't know patting could be a prop.  She keeps getting up standing and screaming if I even attempt to leave.  Last night she didn't fall asleep until 9 after an hour of trying and was up off and on from 4 am until 7:30.  So tired

Offline katie80

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 18:41:03 pm »
(((Hugs))), yes that definitely sounds OT.  You don't have to wean the patting yet, but it can be a contributor to NWs, if that's the only way she knows how to go and get back to sleep.

I know it's scary to think of her waking earlier, but honestly she's not getting the overall sleep she needs right now.  Usually the only way to get that to happen is to put her to bed a little earlier, and often a LO will still sleep to regular wake-up time.

Is she teething at all? Could that be aother reason for the extra NWs?

Offline Moma of two

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 17:37:37 pm »
Trying desperately to get earlier BT.  It is difficult with 3.5 year old with activities etc.  Ideally I guess I would like a 7:30 to 7:30 day.  Only one night waking each evening for the last three days which is great.

Offline Moma of two

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 17:16:31 pm »
She was up all night.  Her nap ended at 3:30(I woke her up) and did a 7:45 bedtime... So confused.

Offline Violet's mom

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 19:12:45 pm »
Teething? 

**Tracy**

Offline katie80

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 20:26:34 pm »
It is difficult with 3.5 year old with activities etc.  Ideally I guess I would like a 7:30 to 7:30 day.
Yes, totally understandable.  But, if an earlier BT helps her catch up on sleep for a bit, you can always start pushing the day out again, once she is sleeping better.  It doesn't have to be a permanent thing.

Teething? 
Yes, my guess is some kind of discomfort.  What did the rest of the day look like?  (((Hugs)))

Offline Moma of two

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 00:38:13 am »
Thank you ...last night the only she got was from 8 until 10 and then not until 5:30 am until 6:30.  She was hot so I guess I can assume teething I guess.  I have been getting one good nap from 12:45 until 3 or 3:15 each day.  I am desperate for sleep.  I have been giving er motrin before bed.

Offline katie80

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 04:27:10 am »
Oh no! :( Yes, teething or illness would be my guess. Is she unwell enough to bring in? Maybe it's an ear infection. Hope you all get some sleep soon! (((Hugs)))

Offline Moma of two

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 16:16:21 pm »
Yesterday was a terrible day with fever again.  Brought to hospital she had a 40.5 fever with two ear infections.  Hopefully with a few doses of meds she will be back to normal as she has stopped taking her formula.  Up all night again last night

Offline katie80

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 19:37:52 pm »
Oh dear, I'm so sorry!  Lots of (((hugs))) and hoping she feels better soon! :-*

Offline Violet's mom

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 23:35:23 pm »
Hoping things get better now!  It really stinks when they aren't feeling well - poor little girl...

**Tracy**