Author Topic: DS fell at the splash pad  (Read 2032 times)

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
DS fell at the splash pad
« on: July 18, 2013, 23:18:41 pm »
I'll start off by saying that DS is extremely comfortable around water.  He's done swimming lessons since he was 7 months old, loves to go in the pool and in the river, and generally has no issues with water. 

So every day this week we've had the most insane time getting DS to take a bath. Complete and hysterical meltdowns the second I turn on the water.  When he's in the tub he's got his leg over the edge and he's trying to climb out.  Yesterday he threw up in the tub he was so hysterical.  I was thinking it was all from him being OT this week (which is strange because no matter what, bath time has always been a piece of cake and more or less a great time for both of us).

It suddenly dawned on me tonight...I took him to the splash pad last Sunday and he fell. He was running through the water (I was right with him) and he slipped and fell backwards.  The water was a few inches deep, but wasn't deep enough to cover his face when he fell, but he was obviously startled and he cried because for him it was a scary experience.  I immediately scooped him up and comforted him, and we went back to our blanket on the grass and I didn't think any more of it.

Now I'm wondering if his bath issues this week are due to his fall in the water at the splash pad?  Do you think that's possible?  I didn't think anything of it because I didn't really think that he would remember,yk?  If so, what should I do to ease bath time?

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
Re: DS fell at the splash pad
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 23:47:38 pm »
My dd was like this at bath time for a while when she was around 17 months. She always loved the bath too, but did exactly the same thing - screaming bloody murder and tryin to climb out.  I wondered at the time if anything had happened that she might be remembering and associating with the tub, but honestly couldn't think of anything.  I didn't want to force it so I strip washed her for a couple of weeks and tried the bath every few days.  We had always done it in the evening, but one day I tried in the morning and she hopped in like nothing had ever happened.  I don't know what was going through her mind, but we did morning baths for a while, and pretty soon she was back to normal and now I can give her a bath whenever and she loves it.  I still don't know what it was all about.  I don't wan to seem dismissive of whatever was bothering her, but tbh I put it down to toddlers being tiny little weirdos sometimes!  ::) ;)
Emma

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 00:44:50 am »
You are probably right.  It is just so out of left field I didn't know what to think.  That's the only thing I can associate it with, but it seems strange.  I mean he's had a few slips in the tub so him falling at the splash pad didn't seem like anything that should have triggered this.  I'm pretty much just grasping at straws.  It's so strange!

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 00:47:47 am »
This is probably not the right thread for this - pls move if it belongs somewhere else :)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 01:02:29 am »
Hun Z had had periods where he is terrified of the bath....no rhyme or reason. Sometimes correlated with a war scare, other times not. I can't remember what we did but so many hugs.

Did you want this moved for advice Hun?
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 01:11:08 am »
We had the same thing with DD when she was a bit older... she was totally terrified. We did as pp said, did not force her, we tried a shower with mommy and that worked for a while.

I ended up going out to buy lots of new bath toys for her... and put them all in the bath one day. First day she still didn't want to go but then the next day she went back in.
Elise

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 01:13:32 am »
Oh yes I think we tried new things with threats like Elise. Bubbles works well. Also DH would jump in with Z again and that would work sometimes. Also never pushed it. :-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 01:17:01 am »
Did you want this moved for advice Hun?
Yes pls! :)

So I guess this is normal?  Yesterday I tried to have a bath with him (which I do sometimes anyway :)) but that wasn't helping either.  Maybe I can reduce the number of times I bathe him a week for now?  I usually give him a bath every night because it's just part of our routine, and also because he is lathered from head to toe every day in sun block so he's a bit greasy.  Or maybe we can try in the morning to see if that would help - that's hard though, we're out the door every day by 7am, hard to fit a bath in there.

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 20:28:19 pm »
We're having similar problems at the moment - although E is fine if her grandad is with her (she'll do anything for him!) and we're taking the try not to push it route. Will probably now also try a shower in case that helps. We also do bath every night as part of her routine and she never seems to sleep so well without it so I'm loathe to not do bath. Sometimes we've done a flannel wash instead. She doesn't seem to mind this so much some days. I guess as with all these things it's a phase and will pass eventually, so I'd probably try not to worry too much. Hope it passes soon.
~ Naomi ~