Author Topic: Leaving the crusts?  (Read 1608 times)

Offline K4T

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 25, 2013, 10:39:10 am »
We did BLW with DD from 6 months and have trusted her to know when she's said she's finished or had enough. So never told her she has to finishe everything on her plate. However the last few weeks she's started leaving the crusts from sandwiches and toast, refusing to eat them but still hungry.

She always used to enjoy eating the whole thing but has now taken a dislike to the crusts. It's not a huge issue but she is starting to leave more and more of the sandwich which is very wasteful. Just wondered how you would handle this? I don't really want to start cutting the crusts off or it becoming a habit with other foods.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: Leaving the crusts?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 11:01:46 am »
They can be fickle little things hey!! Honestly if it were me i'd just keep offering and not worry about it.. she could be going through a phase or something- she may come back around to it!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 13:24:28 pm »
I agree.  I wouldn't cut the crusts off but just leave it to your DD to decide what she wants to eat from her plate.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 14:59:22 pm »
Agree with pps but if she is still hungry and has left as you say a larger portion of sandwich along with the crust I would show her and identify the soft part and the crust part and suggest she has another bite if she is still hungry.  I would also tell her it's ok to eat the crust. I see mine go through phases of actually being a little unsure what is to be eaten and what is to be rejected, so for instance leaving an apple core or a corn cob. Even these days he might ask me about certain things, "what's this?" as he holds up skin from a cooked tomato (he loves toms) and loos slightly disgusted that I've served him something sub standard, I said "it's tomato skin, it's ok to eat it" and in his mouth it goes.  I never make him eat something he honestly doesn't want to try or that I know he doesn't like but I feel sometimes they need information too.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 15:07:34 pm »
Oh I also meant to say that you might both benefit from a change of bread?  She might be getting a little bored of the same sliced bread and could have renewed enthusiasm for something different.  Instead of sliced for toast how about a crumpet, english muffin, toasted teacake or burger bun?  As they don't have 'crusts' you might feel there is less waste.
For sandwiches try tortilla wraps, chapati, or burger bun.  These are all crustless and quite soft too so she might enjoy them.  You can squash buns down with your palm to make them thinner for small mouths and hands.