Author Topic: Newborn question  (Read 1451 times)

lilac83

Newborn question
« on: July 30, 2013, 14:08:55 pm »
DD2 is 1.5 weeks old and so far breastfeeding is going really well. She's meeting all her wet diaper requirements and is happy and alert when awake, so I'm pretty sure she's getting plenty of milk. However, every site I read says to feed completely from one side then switch to the second side to finish the feed. It can take dd2 30-40 minutes to stop eating from the first side and she almost never wants anything from the second side. I'm not sure if she's actively eating the entire time. She'll suck pretty steadily for the first 5 minutes, then she starts getting sleepy and taking longer and longer breaks between sucking. When she does start sucking again I hear swallowing, so I'm never really sure when to break suction with the first side and move to the second, or just keep doing what I'm doing and basically single-side feed her? I think she's a pretty strong/efficient feeder so maybe she drains the first side within 10 minutes then comfort nurses? Also, when she comfort nurses herself to sleep for 5/10 minutes from one side would I then offer her the other side at her next feeding?

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Newborn question
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 14:19:30 pm »
Congrats on your LO, sounds like you're off to a great start! :)

I think she's a pretty strong/efficient feeder so maybe she drains the first side within 10 minutes then comfort nurses?
This sounds about right.  My girls were both the same way.  I used to let them nurse until we got to the point where they'd slow down -- Shiv always said that her MW told her to feel for the "fluttering" sensation that some LOs get when they switch to comfort nursing, which always made sense to me -- then unlatch. 

Single sided feeding is ok at this point -- just make sure you start with the next side on the next feeding -- so yes, if she's comfort nursing to sleep, go with the next side for the next feeding.   

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 14:27:29 pm »
Masyn was a really efficient feeder too, right from early on we were doing single side feeds and she would be done in 10-15 min max. 
Heidi

Offline snhill

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • Becoming Madre
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 16:59:40 pm »
My LO did the same thing. It was never a problem for us. I  still ended up with an oversupply lol but if you're worried about it you can always switch nurse. Ill look for a link but I'm on my cell right now so Ill post it when I can.

If you're interested it's *something * like this. Bf one side until suck gets light. Switch and do same thing on other side. Then one more time on the breast you started on. After this leave baby on that side until breaks suction alone.

But I never tried this so I don't know if it will be what you're looking for or not. . And I'm not sure about fore/hindmilk imbalance here... but I can post the link and you can read on it if you'd like.

Offline snhill

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • Becoming Madre

lilac83

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 18:36:01 pm »
Thanks everyone! She had a weight check today and is up to 8 lb from 7lb 8oz at birth, so something is working! I will just keep doing what im doing. :)

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 19:13:56 pm »
Congratulations Robin xxx