Author Topic: Changing 4mo wu time  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Girlcrystal

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 01, 2013, 18:50:42 pm »
My 4mo ds normally goes to bed at 7pm. I am trying to adjust it to 730-745ish as I am changing him to be on a 4 hour easy and I don't know how to do the 4hr easy without changing his bedtime a bit. So far it seems like he gets up at the same time but is extra tired now in the morning and is having trouble staying awake for his full A time. Will he naturally start to extend his wu or do I need to do something to encourage him.

I looked at the daylight savings board cause I was hoping it would help but it says when you put baby to bed 1 hr later just let him sleep in one more hour in the morning. So far he just wants to wake up when he normally wakes up.

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: Changing 4mo wu time
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 23:16:21 pm »
To change the wake up time, you would probably have to start with the morning nap first and slowly shift all the naps with the bedtime. Whereas if you're just putting to bed late, it probably will just create overtiredness. So if your LO is waking at 7am, I would go back to his previous bedtime and over a couple of days start adding an extra 10/15 mins to the morning nap (which will hopefully mean he sleeps that extra 10/15mins); then to the afternoon nap and the catnap. Don't do too much at the same time. So for a few days shift 10/15mins and then in another 3/4 days shift again another 10/15mins, etc... until you get to where you want to be.

How long is he awake for in the morning? What's his EAS at the moment?

Edit to add: have a look at this link.. it does say to change in 5 min increments. All depends on your LO. I have been able to do 10/15mins but if your LO is very sensitive to A times, you may have to do 5 mins at a time instead

3-4hr EASY Transition – In 5 Minute Increments
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 23:46:30 pm by Layla »

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline Girlcrystal

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 02:59:15 am »
Right now his EAS is 3.5-3.75 sometimes 4hrs. His morning is around 3hrs 40 mins, after 1st nap is closer to 2 hours and last one ranges between 3.5-2 hrs depend on how crabby he is if starts rubbing his eyes and starts just being miserable.

I really cannot extend his naps as I do not wake him from them already and most days I am lucky if 1.5hr (I usually have to do a shush pat a one point during nap.) His naps used to be only 25 mins until he was about 10-12 weeks old so he is starting to extend them.

Lately though I cannot get him to go bed easy. Tonite it we put him down at 715pm and it is 845 and he is still awake. He LOVES to roll over onto his back in his crib. (He is a belly sleeper) He doesn't normally do it at nap time and if he does I flip him over once and he falls right asleep. At bed time though it is another story. We have a routine and he is tired when I put him down but the moment I lay him down and leave the room he flips over. He also started doing this at 4am about a week ago. But I also just cut out his nighttime feeding and that used to be at 4 am.

He gets tons of floor time so I am just lost. And only ever at night? I keep all his A time relatively the same, depending on him but at night he just seems to know that it is bed time and he decides to play. He even almost falls asleep and then he jolts himself awake!! I know he is tired he is sucking on his hand and his eyes are closed but he just keeps rolling over. I am so frustrated. Last night I was awake from 4-530ish am cause he was rolling around. Do I just leave him be ? Not make him go to sleep and wait till he cries to go and flip him over cause he is tired?

Offline Girlcrystal

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 03:01:49 am »
Every time we fix one sleep issue a new one develops. This is brand new only since we got back from holidays where he had very long A times as he will not sleep in crib or car seat. Since then rough bedtimes and NW

Offline Layla

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 05:55:21 am »
With the rolling onto his back, that's a developmental thing and like all new skills they learn, they will practice when they're meant to sleep too ::). So I would just leave him until he needs you and if he is calling out for you (cannot settle on his back), you might have to do some shh/pat rather than flipping him over because he will depend on you to come to the rescue all the time. Like you said, plenty of practicing during the day is good... This is something I don't have experience with because mine sleeps on her back but we will probably start to have this issue when she rolls onto her tummy  ::).

I am also wondering whether you weaning the 4am feed was a bit too early? do you think he might be hungry? have you tried feeding and putting him back to sleep.... at this age, most still have 2 (or 3 night feeds) and I probably wouldn't be cutting down night feeds until a little later :-\.

So is he sleeping morning and afternoon nap 1.5hrs and a catnap?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 05:57:48 am by Layla »

Offline Girlcrystal

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 15:53:45 pm »
I cut the out night feed cause he wasn't taking even close to a full feed in the am. He doesn't cry when he wakes up (I definitely know his hungry cry). He is also taking in between 31-33 ounces during the day now and I was down to 3 ounces at night before I cut out the night feeding.

I could try to re-add the night feeding if you think it will help, and I can definitely leave him on his back until he cries. But should I flip him and do the shush pat after he cries or before?

He is sleeping about 1.5hrs morning and afternoon and about a 25-45 min cat nap. I try for 2 naps of 2 hours and he is normally in his room for about 2 hrs cause he usually wakes once during his nap and I go in and soothe him for a few minutes.

Last night I noticed that he is waking up after he completes his roll and then he is fully awake. I was watching him in the middle of night and he rolls right over in his sleep. When he rolls to his side only he stays asleep but as soon as he flips on his back he wakes up. I wonder if because 1st thing in the am when he wakes up he rolls to his back and plays quietly for a bit.

Do you think floor time with no toys might give him more practice that he seems to need?

Offline Layla

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 23:31:00 pm »
You wouldn't be doing shh/pat if he's not crying, I would just leave him there and he might put himself back to sleep (even if he has woken himself up by rolling over) and if he does start to cry then you go and try and settle him. So its the same as with any developmental skill they learn... they seem to want to practice at night as well (frustrating as it may be!). With the night feed, mine gets up in the early hours and will take a full feed and when she wakes in the morning, she will half 1/2 breast (one side only) and I take that as her 1st feed. This seems to work well for us and we count 3.5 hrs from there.

Definitely practice during the day but if he's not crying, I wouldn't go to him at all and he might surprise you and go back to sleep on his back (it is something he will have to learn to do at some stage anyway. I did use safe-t-sleep when mine started to roll only her tummy but took it away by 9 months, which is when they could go backwards and forwards without any issues but not sure if that will work for you because yours sleeps on his tummy :)

Offline Girlcrystal

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 16:59:33 pm »
So for the last 3 nights I have gone to him when he woke up at 3-4am and flipped him the 1st time. If he rolls again I leave him till he starts to fuss and cry abit. Then when he does I flip him again and pat his back and soother in mouth. Do you think I should not go to him at all the 1st time and just wait. So far he has gone back to sleep quicker (except last nite) with me doing this. Only awake for about 30 mins then.

He is quite a sensitive baby so I am concerned when daylight savings ends, I don't want him waking at 6 am LOL.

If I am trying to add 10-15 minutes to his nap but he doesn't sleep do I leave him in his room till 15 past wake up time and start my 4 hr easy from then? IE> He normally wakes around 11am from morning nap, but don't get him up till 11: 15am and do 4 hr easy from that time?

Offline Layla

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 00:22:25 am »
If it were me, I wouldn't flip at all and try to help him settle in whatever position he is in ... but that's just what I would do... because otherwise he will expect to be flipped everytime he rolls onto his back. You will also have the same disruptions when he starts crawling, standing up, etc... and he will eventually move around and have his hands and legs sticking out but he will learn to sleep in all sorts of sleep positions and I wouldn't be interfering to help him learn faster. Of course, if he is crying, you go to him but I used to settle my girls in whatever position they were in :-\

With daylight savings - he probably will start waking at 6am but then as I suggested earlier, to move his day forward, you'd need to start with the morning nap and shift everything in 10-15 min increments every couple of days and within a couple of weeks, that should get him back to his 7am start. Meal times also get shifted too :)