Author Topic: Rolling, rolling, rolling - awake for 2+ hours!  (Read 826 times)

Offline AshBlack

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Rolling, rolling, rolling - awake for 2+ hours!
« on: August 06, 2013, 11:59:10 am »
Hi all,

My 6.5 month old son was doing really well - once he rolled over to his tummy, he was sleeping through the night for a month or so.  We took him to Spain 2 weeks ago, and he was a star - despite the 6 hour time difference.  Since we have been home, nights have been horrible.  I have obviously been patient as I assumed it was due to the jet lag.  Now that we have been home for 9 days, I think something else is going on.  He is close to pulling himself up to sitting and to crawling, and he is awaking every night to "practice".  He isn't crying, isn't fussing....just talking, laughing and rolling around like a crazy person!  I need sleep desperately. What do we do? Just leave him to it?  We put him down drowsy at bedtime and he falls asleep on his own with a pacifier, but he just seems so wide awake when we go in at night (2 a.m. last night).  I will pick him up to calm him down, and he will go still, but his eyes stay wide open!!

His EASY:
6 a.m. up and breastfeed
7:30 cereal and fruit
9:00 nap
11a.m. up and bottle breastmilk (at day care) and fruit
1pm nap
3 pm up and bottle breastmilk
530 cereal and veg
600 bath
630 breastfeed
700 asleep

and he was sleeping until 6 a.m. recently - with a dream feed.  We had the dream feed down to 3 ozs, and dropped it when we got back from Spain.  But I really don't think he is hungry at night - not crying, when I pick him up, he isn't looking to feed etc.  but could he be missing that feed to?  Is it normally for a newly mobile baby to stay up partying??

Thanks!

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: Rolling, rolling, rolling - awake for 2+ hours!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 23:59:57 pm »
Hugs Hun.  Developmental milestones can really affect sleep.  Unfortunately all you can do is give him lots of opportunity to practice during the day so he won't practice at night!  Looking at your routine, I'm wondering if the pm nap should be occurring around 2 pm (3 hr A).  If he's still waking, you could try increasing his A by around 15 to 20 min. 

If he's not crying, you can leave him be.  If he's crying then go to him and lay him down and try to calm him in the crib. 

HTH