Author Topic: 6 mo wont take breastmilk in morning  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Swannie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
6 mo wont take breastmilk in morning
« on: August 07, 2013, 15:00:12 pm »
My LO will be six months on Saturday. 

Since around 4 months she has not taken very much milk upon waking in the morning.  She wakes up wanting to play, not asking for milk at all.  When I offer it to her she will take a few gulps and then be done.  I have tried waiting anywhere from 30-60 minutes and it is the same story.  She ends up taking a bigger feed right before her morning nap (2 -2.5 hours after waking).

She is taking one or two night-feeds (after a 7:30pm bedtime) and this is still very unpredictable.   We seem to be getting closer to a consistent one only night-feed but not there yet!

It doesn't seem to matter when her night feed(s) is/are because it is the same story: she barely eats anything at the first morning feed.  The other night she did her only night feed at 11:30pm and then took very little breastmilk at 8:30am.

We were getting used to this schedule but then we started solids 10 days ago and now I am bit concerned that it is just a snack-fest in the morning because she would have had two breastfeeds and one solid feed all before her first nap, but none of the feeds are that big.  Should I move the solids later in the day and just wait for her to ask for breast milk in the morning?  We usually do a second solid feed in the late afternoon, in between the last day feed and the bedtime feed.  She is barely eating any solids at this point, just tasting a bit and then making a mess. ;)

Sometimes I wonder if I over-think  all of this....

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: 6 mo wont take breastmilk in morning
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 00:10:23 am »
Sometimes I wonder if I over-think  all of this....
'
I'm pretty sure we all do...

Here's what I think I would do in your situation.  Not feed on waking at all and wait a little until she's actually ready for a feed before her nap.  Hold off on offering solids until lunchtime (after your second BF, if that would work) and maybe a second meal of solids at dinner time.  I assume at some point she'll drop the night feeds and be a bit hungrier in the morning upon waking.  You can also try limiting the night feeds to see if that helps. 

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 18:46:34 pm »
I agree with Erin. :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline Swannie

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 16:30:59 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  I took it as far as DD would cooperate.  This is what the past day or so looked like.

Thursday:
(two night feeds: 11:30am and 4am)
8:15am wake
9am breastfeed on her demand - still a snack
10:20am breastfeed on her demand - snack
10:30am-12:15pm - nap
12:30pm - solids (still a tiny amount)
1:50pm - breastfeed...short feed so I offered expressed milk in a cup, which she took
3:00pm-4:45pm - nap
5:00pm - breastfeed....lasted 90 seconds because she got distracted...then gave her some expressed milk in a cup, which she gladly took
6:00pm - solids (tiny)
7:15pm - breastfeed
7:30pm - bed
1:15am - breastfeed

9:15am - wake up (she slept in!)
9:50am - breastfeed on her demand (snack)
11:30am - breastfeed on her demand (full feed)
11:45am - nap....

Does that pattern/schedule look ok?  Any thoughts will be welcomed!  I want to eventually drop these night-feeds....

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 17:14:41 pm »
Any reason you think the feeds are a snack rather than a full feed?
*** Amanda ***

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 21:13:58 pm »
Where are you breastfeeding her? I know many mamas find they need to feed in a dark or at least dim room away from other people or LOs get really distracted at this age,
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Swannie

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 15:58:07 pm »
Yes, she gets very distracted.  I have tried lots of different places.  I thought the dark room would work for sure, but then she seemed fascinated at the light peeking through the curtain!

I usually know (or at least think I know) when it is a snack feed because it is short and my breast is still very full.

But now I am not sure that how much she eats in the day is a good predictor of whether she will eat once or twice a night.  The other day she seemed to eat very little in the day and then only woke for one night feed.  The next two days she ate more in the day but then woke for two night-feeds.  These little people are mysterious!  I just need to be patient.

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 19:14:36 pm »
I always think of it along the lines that I don't want to eat 3 courses at each meals and some days feel more hungry than others so there's no reason a LO wouldn't feel the same.

The beauty of BF is that your body compensates for those variables :)
*** Amanda ***