Author Topic: Dream feed- unsure about it  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Lilo's mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: August 10, 2013, 23:49:04 pm »
Hello!
I tried implementing the dream feed twice. In both times LO took about 10 min and nothing more, and woke up in the middle of the night. 10 min is too little time, he is used to eating in 40. But it was impossible to get him to drink more, he was too sleepy.
I didnt try any further because I am not very comfortable wth ths idea... That is why I wanted to hear from the more experienced. If I put him to bed at 9, he s in such a good sleep at 11 that it seems to me it is unfair to disturb him, even if I dont wake him up. Doesnt sound very natural to me trying to feed a baby if he has no desire to be fed...
What do you think about it? Can you let me know why you feel comfortable with that? I am just looking for information and experiences who will make me at ease with ths idea., because it really seems a nice way to avoid night wakng.
Thanks!
Mariana

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Dream feed- unsure about it
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 20:26:30 pm »
"How do I implement/drop the dreamfeed?"
This link should tell you all about the dream feed. It is meant to stop them getting in the habit of waking for a feed and just tank them up. It can take a week or so to have any effect on NWs.

Many of us just skipped the DF and fed on waking so you can do that if you prefer.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 20:28:18 pm by *Ali* »
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Buttonbobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: Dream feed- unsure about it
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 21:11:25 pm »
Hi there, we used the DF and it was a lifesaver for me personally with our sleep much improved as a result. I did the DF with a bottle feed and it worked after a few days, but of course FF is so much easier for the LO. I do have a friend who very successfully used DF with breast feeding and it did take slightly longer to "bed-in" with her and her DS. I would probably give it at least a week like Ali suggests and then decide :)
~ Naomi ~