Author Topic: 6 mo old wont eat from one side  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Charlene.b

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6 mo old wont eat from one side
« on: August 12, 2013, 00:36:40 am »
I've always had issues with my right side as it has a slow let down and produces less milk. I've always had to supplement. I take fenugreek and have even tried upping the dose but no luck. I just started back to work and pumping for those 2 feeds while at work. Now he doesn't seem to want to eat off the right side at all no matter what I do. I do breast compression. Seems like the only way he doesn't get frustrated and cry is lying down on the bed. But then he rolls on and off. I've tried turning the lights off even. The only time he will really eat properly off that side is in the middle of the night when he's asleep. Its becoming painful and I'm afraid that I will lose what little supply I have. Is there any else thing I can do? Or is the beginning of the end?  :-[

Offline CCCmom27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 27
Re: 6 mo old wont eat from one side
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 01:10:11 am »
From early on both my boys preferred the right side.  Then around 4-6 month G really started to dislike the left side.  He would literally nurse for a minute or two and then we'd switch to the right.  We did this until he was a year when I gave up on the left and he just nursed from the right until he was 2.  Not sure if there's more I could have done, but it worked for us  :-\

Offline Swannie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 16:14:02 pm »
We've had the same issue since very early on (my daughter is now 6 MO).  She would go through phases of a few days to a few weeks where she wouldn't eat from the right side.  I tried different positions, like sitting her on the outside of my body and leaning her into the right breast so she would feel like she was nursing from the left.  That worked occasionally.  It was very frustrating and I was considering just solely feeding from the left but I talked to a lactation nurse who told me that when DD is going through one of her "I hate the right boob" phases to ALWAYS start her on the right side and only switch her after she refuses.  That helped.  I notice she is doing it less and less now but I am seeing a correlation between her having an off/fussy day (from travel, teething, who knows) and her not wanting the right side.

I have always pumped the right side when she is eating less from it and it kept my supply up.

Good luck! 

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 20:54:53 pm »
You already have great advice from cccmom27 and swannie. :)

As pps say I would continue trying him in that side first at each feed. Maybe use a rugby hold to trick him that he is on the other side. And try to do your pumping sessions from that side only/mostly and also the night feeds where he is happy to feed from that side. That should be enough to keep it emptying frequently and keep your supply up.
If you think it is because you have a slow/delayed letdown on that side maybe it would help to pump to letdown before putting our LO to the breast so there is immediately milk flowing.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Charlene.b

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 21:43:35 pm »
Thanks everyone!  I've been trying the always starting on the right thing - hopefully it will pay off eventually.  I'll try the other suggestions as well.  I was thinking about getting a hand pump for weekends since my pump is at work and it's too much to take back and forth on public transportation every day.

From early on both my boys preferred the right side.  Then around 4-6 month G really started to dislike the left side.  He would literally nurse for a minute or two and then we'd switch to the right.  We did this until he was a year when I gave up on the left and he just nursed from the right until he was 2.  Not sure if there's more I could have done, but it worked for us  :-\
I'd be so happy if I could get 1-2 minutes out of him :-)  Right now I only get 10 seconds if I'm lucky, but I keep trying over and over.  Curious though - when you only fed from one side, how much milk would you have?  Did you have to supplement?  When I pump (which does a better job of emptying than my son), I'm very lucky if I get 2 oz after 15 min of pumping on the right.  The left side gives me 2-3 in about 6min, but I keep pumping that side as well in hopes that it will help.  I know at 6 mo they should be drinking 6-8 oz per feeding 4-5 x per day.  Were you able to produce enough for your LO?

It's really nice to know that I'm not the only one with this issue!!

Offline CCCmom27

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 02:00:32 am »
Curious though - when you only fed from one side, how much milk would you have?  Did you have to supplement? 

I never had to supplement.  I didn't pump on a regular basis but when I did I would get more from the right.  I think my right must have just compensated since he would take the majority of his milk from that side.  It just made as much as he needed.  It did also always seem bigger than the left to me.  DH assured me it wasn't noticeable  :P

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 07:10:00 am »
This site has some great info.http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/lopsided/
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Swannie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 14:27:06 pm »
I didn't have to supplement because I had the opposite problem: an oversupply and an overactive letdown.  I think the milk came faster on the right side which is why she didn't like it.  When it was really bad (around 3 months) I did notice that side was smaller but it appeared to even out after her next growth spurt.  She still takes more from her preferred side but as long as I keep putting her on the right as much as possible I am still making enough milk in the right side.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 19:30:49 pm »
Your body will just compensate and make the required amount from one side.
*** Amanda ***