Author Topic: Language development and sign language questions (18m)  (Read 2642 times)

Offline MakingMischief

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Mom to Colin,
Language development and sign language questions (18m)
« on: August 14, 2013, 14:03:50 pm »
Hey everyone,

Is 18 months too late to start sign language with my son? He’s very verbal – he babbles constantly – but doesn’t have that many actual words. Every once in a while he’ll let out what sounds like a very clear word, but then will never say it again. He says “mama” “daddy” “Neecie” (his grandma) “uh-oh” (his name for his pacifier, because every time he spots and wants it – he’s only allowed to have it in his crib or the car, unless he’s really upset – his father or I said “uh-oh.”) “dog” “vroom” (cars) “truck” “up” … I’m sure there are more that I’m forgetting, but it’s not that many. I’m so bummed, I talk to him a lot, read to him, etc, but I feel like his verbal development isn’t coming along.

I was thinking about trying to pick up sign language with him to help him communicate in the meantime, but most things I see about baby sign language say to start early. When I stayed at home with him for a few months when he was an infant, I would sign to him, but when I went back to work FT I stopped because I didn’t have much time with him. A couple hours in the morning, a couple hours in the evening, and the weekends. Between those times, he goes to a babysitter’s and stays with my parents – none of whom do the baby sign thing, and I’m not comfortable thrusting a book at them and saying “I now require you to memorize all of these and sign with my baby every day.” My husband also isn’t sold on the idea of sign language.

Is it even worth it to try? I don’t know any sign language myself, save for what I picked up reading books a year ago. And I worry that if I’m the only one doing it, it’ll just confuse him.

Thanks everyone.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Language development and sign language questions (18m)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 15:01:52 pm »
Hi. I'm qualified to level 2 in British Sign Language and my mum has her own voluntary group where she teaches sign to any age (for free) so there was ample opportunity for my LO to be taught if I'd wished. However, I chose not to, I have my reasons and opinions for this choice and like anything it is down to personal choice and how you choose to spend time interacting with your child. My choice was to limit sign use to 'food' 'drink' and 'toilet'. (I repeatedly asked my mum to stop signing in front of him, I chose that I didn't want him spending his time and effort learning hundreds of different signs which he could have been exposed to)
It's never too late, a child of any age, including a toddler or an older child, a teen, an adult and the elderly (often with hearing loss) can learn to sign and it's a very useful form of communication.  Any time you spend with your child interacting is worth while whether it is sign, speaking, playing with toys, reading books, whatever, so in that sense it's great, it can also help to ease the frustration little ones have in communicating their needs when they are pre-verbal. That's why I chose the few signs I did teach, to reduce frustration and help him get what he needed by being understood quickly but from minimal effort being focused on acquiring a second language.  Food, drink and toilet are simple signs and in fact you don't have to use official signs you can use anything you like, other carers are likely not to mind being asked to learn just 3 (or half a dozen) signs if they are simple to pick up, it's not the same as thrusting a book upon them.
Just briefly I'll explain that I chose 'food' rather than hundreds of different food items because once LO communicates they are hungry it is easy to run through a list (or point to things) and for them to indicate what they want where as if they know the sign for banana but really want a piece of toast they are stuck asking for banana.  My LO signed almost identically for food and drink and it really didn't matter, he had made his need known well enough.

I honestly do not think that teaching sign will help his verbal language skills develop any quicker though so if that is your motivation then I would probably suggest just talking, reading books, looking at pictures, describing everything around you and everything you are doing (I'm sure you do this already).  At 18 months he is on the cusp of some huge language leaps.  Between now and 2yo (or a bit older) he is going to have language explosions that will blow you away. Although he has some words now language doesn't really come in one or two words it kind of appears seemingly over night, there is likely to be some terrible sleep disruption and at the end of it your LO will suddenly know dozens more words or start chatting.  For instance at 17, 18, 19 and even 20 months I could write down the words or sounds my LO was able to say, at 21 months it was pointless trying to record what he could say, 4 word sentences, the entire alphabet and counting from 10 backwards down to zero.

It's a very exciting time and I think you are almost upon it!
Hope this helps some in making your decision.

Offline MakingMischief

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Mom to Colin,
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 19:40:47 pm »
Thanks! That really made me feel better. I keep reading about toddler development, and since "toddler" is such a wide net I get worried that Colin is lagging behind. I am super excited about the upcoming "language explosion"!

It's not so much to help develop his language skills but to give him a tool to communicate with until his verbal abilities catch up. I posted in the discipline board, but we're starting to have some temper problems, so I'm hoping that giving him a way to tell me what he wants will help reduce his frustration.

I'm just hoping to teach some basics - eat, cup, more, all done (which he actually knew for awhile there, but once he could physically start getting up and doing something else I think he forgot it), sleepy, diaper, hurt, etc. Just ways to communicate his needs.

Offline *happy*

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 19:46:24 pm »
At 18 months he is on the cusp of some huge language leaps.
This!!!!
DD is literally copying everything we say now....when she's in the mood for listening that is (she gets that from her daddy!!!)
but it really has been a sudden thing!!!
she was super at doing heaps of animal noises before all the chatter, but now, when we say "what does the cow say" etc, she just says "no", as if to say ,"come on mammy, you know i know that!why are you asking me such an infantile question?"!!!!!
they really do have their own little minds!!!!

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 20:16:25 pm »
I'd say that your list of words sounds very appropriate for his age, so if this is your prime worry then he will soon show you the language explosion you are waiting for.

For the signing, there is no harm in starting. Bear in mind that until he is much older, when he is feeling frustrated and emotional his verbal skills may well desert him until the storm passes. It may be the same with signs.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 21:42:31 pm »
when he is feeling frustrated and emotional his verbal skills may well desert him until the storm passes
Oh yes I very much agree. Even at 2.5 and talking in huge sentences with clauses, making up stories etc etc my LO will still lose the power of speech when he is frustrated or upset.  Only last night he was screaming his head off in bed, I was there with him of course, and I finally asked "do you want me to go away so you can sleep" and he found words at last, "Yes" he said through his tears. Oh ok!  Within 1 second of leaving his room he was silent and snuggling down to sleep. In his normal state he would of course have just said "Mummy go away please".

18 months is about the right time for temper tantrums (although people generally say it's after they are 2), making sure he has plenty of sleep can help (the 18 month sleep regression doesn't really help with this!), I also found it very helpful to take things slower and try to give as much choice, power and control as possible to your LO. They get so little choice over their lives and they know it, seems to me totally understandable they get frustrated, even creating choices for them can help reduce the frustration when there really can be no choice.  Sorry getting a bit OT here.

If you are at all concerned about other carers not being willing to learn or understand the signs I would really limit them or he might get even more frustrated that he is communicating and being 'ignored', although often it's only the parents that understand all the babble and early words anyway.  I'm always translating for DS as Nana understands so little of what he says when to me it is 95% 'obvious'.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 21:50:01 pm »
I'd totally go for it!  The more ways of communicating a different word that a child has, the easier it is for them to do so and the more brain synapses that are being joined and fired.

I'd done some very basic signs with DD almost from birth ('milk' mainly at that stage!) and she'd signed it back by the time she was around 5 months.  We then had a bit of a break where I kept forgetting to do it until my friend started running a baby signing class locally and asked me to go along.  DD was over 2y by that stage, but not using many words at all, but had been starting to try out some signs that we'd started up again by that stage.

I'm not kidding, but within a couple of weeks her vocabulary had increased massively and she was not only trying to sign the word, but saying it as well.  Now that she has a good number of signs (and words to go with them) she's finding it easier to communicate what she wants, especially when she might be unable to physically say (so if she's upset or something).

You've got nothing to lose by starting now and everything to gain.  Plus it's a lovely things to do with your LO and gives them some tools to communicate both with you and those who they may meet further down the line that might have impaired hearing.  Just try to share some of the signs you're learning each week with anyone else who might be caring for him so they know what to look out for.
*** Amanda ***

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 01:05:11 am »
Just wanted to add for reassurance, your DS has far more words than either of my boys had at 18mos (which was zero for both of them!).  What you describes sounds well within the range of normal for his age.  In fact I thought that list of words was quite extensive!  I also agree with tons of what the other ladies have said re: never to late to start.  In fact I think he will pick up on it quickly.  I only ever used a few signs with my children.  And agreeing once again, he is probably on the verge of a huge developmental leap and you will start to hear more words coming soon.  Both my boys went from no words at 18 mos to spitting words out left, right and centre shortly after 18 mos! 

:)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline MakingMischief

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Mom to Colin,
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 20:32:16 pm »
Aw, thanks everyone. I used constantly be checking the developmental charts when he was a little baby, but I'd stopped, and then yesterday I read something that said he should have a dozen or more words by now!

I forgot his one other word "soos" (shoes). He loves shoes. I have photos of him clomping around the house in my pumps! He brings me my shoes every morning, and when he wants to go outside, he'll bring me my shoes and then after I put them on, lead me to the door.

Fiver, what you're describing is exactly what I'm hoping for! Thanks everyone!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 07:11:40 am »
I've looked at so many developmental charts. I don't remember now the age their are 'supposed' to say 'Mummy' or 'Mama' but mine didn't, not for a long time, I think he was speaking 4 word sentences before he cared to say 'Mummy'.
Developmental charts have their place, yes there is a need for some level of comparison with norms to ensure a baby is growing and developing as expected, but they are also very misleading and can get us worried for no reason.

I think you've listed 10 words already that he says so it's not so far off from a dozen to cause concern is it? And perhaps there are some sounds or words you have not listed too.

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 21:03:26 pm »
I don't think you need to worry about his language but I know signing was a great help for my two before they could talk well. I would do it. We also only chose a small number of really common words rather than for everything. Things like eat, drink, potty, sleep, please, thanks, tissue ( for constant runny nose), more, full up. They served us really well and I would definitely do it with no. 3. I was the only one to sign and was also back at work by this age but that didn't matter. When others saw baby signing they were happy to know what it meant and started using it unasked.