Author Topic: 8 month old - longest night time stretch is 2 hours  (Read 789 times)

Offline Stressedoutmum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
8 month old - longest night time stretch is 2 hours
« on: August 15, 2013, 09:22:28 am »
I wonder if someone could help please as I am unsure where to start but need to sort my DS night time sleep issues.....

DS is 8.5 months and I am at the end of my tether. My husband wants to do cry it out but I really don't so hoping to get some guidance here. We did No Cry Sleep Solution with my DD and although it took time she is now a great sleeper so happy with these gentler approaches.

2 things happen at night. He is either awake for long periods of time (up to 2 1/2 hours) or he settles quickly but is awake again really frequently. I have tried letting him settle himself for 20 mins or so but he shouts and wakes his sister, or dirties his nappy which is even more difficult to get him to settle afterward.

He has had an ear infection so I think I have accidentally parented during the night by giving him meds or comforting him when he was in pain. :-( But these cleared up a couple of weeks ago and it is still really bad.

I don't know whether to do walk in/walk out or pu/pd - we have never used either, only shh/pat and while that will settle him after a time, he is only snoozing and wakes again shortly afterwards.

routine is as below but keeping him awake for 3 hours A time is proving a challenge as he is clearly not rested after night sleep:
6.30ish - wake up - although today he dirtied nappy at 6 so was up for the day
7.00 - solids breakfast
9.00 - milk feed - he has no interest in milk much before this time
9.30/9.45 - nap for 1.5 hours
11.30 - solids lunch
1.30/2 milk feed
2.30ish - nap for 1.5/2 hours
5.00 - solids dinner
6.30 - bath
7.00 bedtime feed and bed.
10.30/11 night feed

He is swaddled on top with one arm out to clutch teddy. He has eczema and this stops his scratching at night.

Should I leave him longer at night to try settle himself? What do I do if he doesn't settle?
He does still take a NF (I often hear his tummy rumble by about 4am) - is this OK?
Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Thank you, a sleep deprived mum x

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: 8 month old - longest night time stretch is 2 hours
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 16:47:52 pm »
Hi there!  Hugs for the nw's! 

I agree with not leaving him to CIO.  I don't think that will help matters any.

A few questions...

When he wakes, is he crying or chatting?   If crying, what type of cry is it?
How long has he had eczema?  Does he have any food intolerances or allergies?  What kind of foods is he eating at meal times?
What kind of developmental milestones is he working on?  Crawling, standing, etc?
Is he teething?  How many teeth does he have?

The frequency of nw's makes me think that there is some kind of discomfort so teeth, tummy, etc.  his naps are really good.  His A is alright.  Perhaps on the low side but alright. 

At this age, I would do pu/pd especially of he's standing or sitting up.  You can shh him also if this is what he's used to.  Try to settle as much in the crib and only pu if he's really upset and needs to be held.  NF's at this age are alright.  Some bubs have dropped them but others are still eating at night (as long as he's taking a full feed). 

Wrt the feed at 10:30 is he waking at this time or are you doing a df in his sleep?

HTH

Offline Stressedoutmum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 19:07:11 pm »
Thanks for the reply, and the hugs.

Answers to your questions:
- when he awakes it varies, he can immediately be really crying hard, the type you need to comfort, and others he just lies in his cot for half an hour or so, fills his nappy, plays with his comforter. He will eventually start shouting and getting distressed. He does have a mantra cry when he is settling himself for naps and going down initially at night.
- he has had eczema from the start. We are redheads so it goes with the territory! As does hayfever and asthma :-( It generally doesn't bother him unless it gets wet e.g in the bath.
- I have this week moved him onto a lactose free diet as something else to try. My daughter is lacto intolerant although growing out it now. He has had some bad nappies that we've put down to teething but giving this a shot this week to see if it makes a difference.
- foods have been normal family meals mashed down e.g fish pie, chicken casserole, beef stew etc. He is a bigger than average boy and enjoys his food and eats well.
- developments would include frustration at not crawling and constant wanting to stand up, however, he isn't trying to sit up or pull on cot when in bed. He is swaddled and doesn't roll about much like his sister did.
- teething is definitely happening, he has had 1 through 2 weeks ago and you can see the others at the front just sitting there but I have made sure that he has pain meds in going to bed and at dream feed I case this was an issue.

His naps are good, although not this afternoon. I agree his A is ok, it could be a bit longer but he has always had em in the shorter side of the scale for his age. I could put him in his bed after 2 hours in the morning, it's a real struggle to occupy him until 3. This afternoon I was out so it was 3 hours 15 mins a time and he was OT and only slept for 45 mins :-(

I do try to settle him as much as I can in cot but if I am not sitting there until he is I a really deep sleep, which can take 1-2 hours, then I can be in and out the room constantly. I am surviving on 4-5 hours sleep at the mo and have been for weeks.

I am happy to have a night feed and if he wakes after 3 I will give him one (which he always scoffs) but try to settle within the 4 hour window from the dream feed. The dream feed he is usually still asleep although I did hear my DH stir him last night to get him to take it.

I don't know what else to do. If its teething and this is what he is like with just one, I don't know if I will survive the other 19!! Any suggestions?

Thanks

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 10:43:14 am »
Gosh, hugs Hun!  I think it's discomfort that's keeping him from getting in a deep sleep that you both need.  Def see how he does on a dairy free diet.  Does he also eat wheat?  That would be the other common food to eliminate. 
Unfortunately for his nw's, you or your DH will have to go in :(.  I'd leave him though if he's not crying though. 

Wrt the df, it might be time to drop it.  There are several different ways to do this...
1. Cold turkey
2.  Add less milk to his bottle over a course of a week
3.  Gradually move the feed earlier and earlier until its within an hour or so of bt
You will need to ensure he gets more calories during the day.  So bigger milk feed (obviously hard to do if bf).  Or larger meals or snacks added in throughout the day.
At this age, He may have more restless sleep if he's getting the df.  Waking him may disrupt his sleep so I think this is worth a try. 

Keep us posted!