Author Topic: Help!  (Read 876 times)

Offline Olliesmammy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 20, 2013, 06:07:55 am »
My LO has never slept through the night he's now 7 months and I am in desperate need of sleep, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. His daily routine is as follows:

4.30/5 - wake up
6.30/7 - bottle
7.30-9 - nap
9 - breakfast
10.30/11 - short nap (30mins)
12/1 - lunch
2.30 - bottle and nap
5.30- dinner
7 - porridge
7.30- bath, wind down, bottle
8 - bed

Then he usually wakes at 12.30, 2.30, 3.30  and has a small amount of bottle each time, then up for the day at 4.30

Offline Violet's mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 07:52:32 am »
I would try extending his A time to 3 hr 15 min and getting him on 2 naps and see if that helps.
All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months
I think one of the key things here is an earlier bedtime - like 7 or so.  I would also try to include one more bottle in his routine somewhere, focus on giving his bottle after he wakes not right before he goes to sleep.

How is he when he wakes?  What is a small amount?  If he isn't truly hungry you can try PU/PD or just let him be if he is happy in his crib.
How to PU/PD (inc age adaptations)

HTH

**Tracy**

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: Help!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 09:24:06 am »
Hi there and welcome to the BW :)

I think a change in routine is necessary. It looks like your LO is taking a very early morning nap; a short afternoon nap and a late evening nap (is that a 3 hr nap from 2.30-5.30)? I would probably start with an earlier bedtime too because he is only getting 8.5-9 hrs of sleep, which is not enough and he is probably waking up so much at night because he is not on an age-appropriate schedule and also because he is overtired. The bottle also sounds like its a prop. Don't be afraid of an earlier bedtime... it will help him catch up on some sleep and most babies need up to 11-12hrs at night (some can do with less but 8.5-9 in my opinion is too little)

So the plan of action (if this was my LO) would be:
- do an earlier bedtime of 6.30pm (depending on when that last nap ends. If its a 3 hr nap, then you need to shorten it to 45mins so that he is ready for bed when you put him down earlier as otherwise he will just fight the earlier bedtime)
- in the morning, try to stretch his A time by adding 10-15 mins every 3-4 days until your morning nap is closer to 9am
- as your pushing the morning nap, also push the afternoon nap as your A time in the afternoon is quiet short (1.5hrs) and most babies around this age can handle 3 hrs
- limit the catnap to 45mins and offer bedtime around 3hrs later. The catnap may not be necessary once he's able to do 3 hrs between naps and is taking 2 good naps but if either nap is short, the catnap may need to stay for a little bit. But that we can work on as some LOs take it and others don't. We were done with the catnap with DD1 by 9 months and with DD2 around 8 months.

He probably doesn't need to be fed as much as he is being fed so I would pick 2 night feeds, where you are going to feed him and for the other wake ups do pu/pd.

Let me know what you think :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 11:22:06 am by Layla »

20/06/2012 - my angel baby