Author Topic: BFing and goldenseal...  (Read 1244 times)

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« on: September 01, 2013, 17:23:33 pm »
It's been suggested that I take a tincture of echinacea and goldenseal (together) for an ongoing problem  :P

I see very different reports on goldenseal and bfing - from 'don't do it' to a midwife who recommends it for mastitis!  LO2 is 15 months now and feeds, mostly, twice a day, morning and evening.  I'm pretty sure the warnings apply to tiny babies who are bfing constantly, and are, in any case, based on lack of knowledge rather than positive information.

Has anyone BTDT experience with goldenseal?  I am thinking if I take it right after I feed her, it should be 'processed' by the next feed, at least ten hours later.  Any suggestions? 

I've been ill for weeks if not months, antibiotics are not working, this seems like it might help... ???
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: BFing and goldenseal...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 18:29:24 pm »
In case you haven't already seen it, here's the info from LactMed - http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/f?./temp/~e4jNPP:1

Or it might be worth dropping a line to the Drugs in Breastmilk helpline - http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/drugs-in-breastmilk.html - they may or may not have any information regarding herbal/complementary therapies.
*** Amanda ***

Offline weaver

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 18:38:03 pm »
Good idea re: breastfeeding network! Thanks.  I'll come back with any information.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 21:25:15 pm »
:)
*** Amanda ***

Offline weaver

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 13:11:14 pm »
They have referred me to the same site as you, Amanda! 

There is no problem using echinacea, apparently. There has been little to no research on goldenseal and while some seem to think it's fine to use (for a short while) when bfing, the majority of sources seem to say that goldenseal is definitely not recommended if you've a newborn (as it could contribute to jaundice).  I think with the intervals of bfing and age of baby we're dealing with here we should be fine.

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 19:45:00 pm »
LOL!  Yes, LactMed really is the BF/drug bible!  Apparently you can get an app of it now as well.

At the end of the day it's up to you to decide whether you're prepared to take any risk there might or might not be.  Hope it helps.
*** Amanda ***

Offline weaver

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 19:41:02 pm »
At the end of the day it's up to you to decide whether you're prepared to take any risk there might or might not be.
Exactly!  Thanks again.