Author Topic: Weaning NF for EBF 5 mo  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Caitlyns Mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Queensland, Australia
Weaning NF for EBF 5 mo
« on: September 04, 2013, 21:10:25 pm »
Hi, I'm thinking about trying to wean the 2-3am NF from my 5 mth old (4 mths adjusted) DS. I can hear the howls now and know that many EBF babies will continue to feed through the night until 6+ mths. However, I want to explore getting rid of the feed as he just isn't hungry when he wakes up at 6.30ish. Currently he gets a 9.30-10pm DF and then wakes for a NF typically between 2-3am. Both feeds are usually good feeds and he settles right back to sleep. He wakes up happy in the morning, but will take not even 5 mins (& I offer the second breast if he's seemingly disinterested in one).

Has anyone had the same situation? We went cold turkey getting rid of the dummy and it worked well - could I go cold turkey on the NF? Offer a sip of water instead?
Jess

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: Weaning NF for EBF 5 mo
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 19:05:00 pm »
I've no BTDT on a LO who doesn't seem to want a big feed in the morning, but most women have a greater supply in the morning than later in the day, so it may be that he's getting all he's interested in first thing in the morning quickly rather than him not being hungry then, IYSWIM?

Personally I'd stick with the NF for now and try to work around what's happening in the morning, especially given he's taking what seems to be a good long feed at 2-3am.  What happens if you just wait for half an hour or so before offering it?  Does he take more? Same sort of amount of time?

FWIW, I wouldn't offer water at 5m.  Small babies need milk to grow.  Water isn't going to add anything and if he is hungry, you're likely just to get a slightly later wake for a feed which could exacerbate any morning feed problems you might have now.
*** Amanda ***

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 07:45:51 am »
What about pushing the DF later so he is hungrier for that and takes a little more?

I agree with Amanda, the WHO recommend giving water only after 6mo for EBF babies.

If you really want to try holding him off then what about a dummy if he takes one? I would only try for 5-10mins though and if he doesn't resettle easily or gets very upset then I would just feed as he is obviously hungry.

You can also try to up the calories in the day by offering both sides and then maybe even the first side again. You may find a 5 min break such as changing the nappy and burping between sides helps him take more at the second side.

I would also try waiting a little bit longer before you feed him in the morning, as long as he isn't asking to feed before, to give him a chance to get hungrier.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Maria14

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 11:46:26 am »
We were in exact same situation at about your age-DD would feed in the middle if the night and then would not be hungry first thing in the morning. I didn't do anything about it and with time she pushed that feed to 4 then 5 am etc until she slept through,she would occasionally go back to waking up at 3 am for a few nights etc,I would feed,then back to STTN.currently wakes up at 5.30 and is having difficulty falling asleep again and even though she isn't that hungry I feed her as its the quickest way to settle to avoid starting the day with her ring OT from being awake for an hour at 5 am..it's habitual and always has been but I leave it to her to lead me..Also as she practically isn't interested in breast any more in the day (she is almost 8 months) early morning is the only time she will feed and it helps to maintain whatever is left of the supply..

Offline Caitlyns Mum

• Showing Appreciation 1
  • Queensland, Australia
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 01:13:02 am »
Thanks for the advice ladies!

Ali, I have considered pushing the DF a little later, but I'm flat out staying up to 10pm to give the feed! I'm not a night owl and would be quite happy going to bed at 8.30! I wonder whether I'd get away with giving only one feed (probably around midnight) between 7pm and 6am if I dropped the DF? We've just weaned his dummy, so unfortunately I don't have that option anymore. I was going to use DH to settle so he doesn't smell me, and yes, if he doesn't settle easily, then feed. Maybe I'll try just offering one side when he wakes and see how that goes?

Maria14, I guess I don't mind feeding at 2-3am because at least you avoid the situation you were in, in that LO would wake early morning for a feed and then have trouble going back to sleep and/or it throws out the beginning of the day. I know if I wait a while it will probably change (that's parenting!), but I was hoping to speed up the process  ;D

Fiver, I'll see what waiting a little longer in the morning does. He currently wakes and babbles away in his cot and by the time I'm up and get to him, he's probably been awake 15-20mins, but I'll see if I can stretch up to 30mins. The idea of offering water was only to see if it satisfied his thirst during the night, but using DH to settle instead of me may work too. I'll see how holding off the morning feed goes....
Jess