Author Topic: 6+ months: question about oz per feed solids  (Read 1475 times)

Offline aboveallrubies

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6+ months: question about oz per feed solids
« on: September 09, 2013, 18:07:05 pm »
Hello :)

I did search a while for answers to this before I broke down to ask the question as I don't want to be posting repeat questions and I am sure it is on here somewhere but I just couldn't find it!

How many ounces of solids are "normal" for a 6-7 month breastfed baby to eat per feeding?  She has been doing 4 oz at breakfast and 4 at dinner and we haven't incorporated lunch yet as I'm afraid she won't get enough breastmilk if we add another meal at 4 oz but she seems pretty hungry mid-afternoon and it doesn't seem my milk is enough for her at that point. 

She's still nursing 5 times/day (sometimes more) and is still waking at night!!  She's on a fairly regular schedule (but we are definitely not strict at all about it).

Any help is appreciated!  Thank you in advance for taking time to read! :)

Blessings!

Offline goldmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
Re: 6+ months: question about oz per feed solids
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 16:37:26 pm »
We're going pretty slow. DD has been on solids for almost a month now and twice a day she gets 1/3 of a 4 oz jar of veggies (or fruits on a rare occassion). We plan on introducing her last meal soon.

DD is still nursed 2 times during the day and has two 5-6 oz bottles of EBM. She does eat 2x at night still, but I'm hoping to cut back soon (but then I've been hoping for this for quite a few months now ;))

She's never been a big eater and is on the small side (35th percentile). She seems to not finish her second bottle when she has too much solids even when offering it 2+ hours before the bottle.

I know lots of people give more food at 6 months, but BW seems to suggest only 2 tsp at each meal starting out, which is less than an 1 oz.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 6+ months: question about oz per feed solids
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 18:58:46 pm »
I'm not sure where you are but in the UK we are recommended to start with just one meal a day and to gradually increase that until you are introducing a third meal between 8-9mo.
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/solid-foods-weaning.aspx#close

What your DD is taking does sound like a lot to me tbh. I certainly wouldn't add another meal in for some time yet. Any solids she eats are likely to have less calories and fats than breast milk so she is better off eating more of that if you think she is still hungry. Too much solid food can actually make them too full to breastfeed but not contain enough calories to keep them sustained.

What times are your BFs and solid meals? Maybe you could jig the timing if there seems a time she is hungry between meals?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011