Author Topic: Does your child get 5 a day or more?  (Read 3880 times)

Offline We Three

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 15:55:32 pm »
 My dd really responded to us focusing on colors, and we would try to "eat a rainbow" every day.  We are dye-free, so we talked alot about colors that God made, (which are awesome) versus colors that people made, (which are made from chemicals) and that the colors God made are really, really important to be strong and healthy.  So she'd eat some raw broccoli with her lunch, some pineapple for a snack, etc, trying to hit all the colors in the rainbow every day. We didn't always hit it (blue and purple are hard!) but I have to say, it was a fun and ongoing thing in our house, and she really, even at almost 7, gets how important it is.  :)

Her dentist commented that she can always tell the kids who eat lots of healthy foods, and that went a long way with dd also!

Offline cuckoochick

• Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
Re: Does your child get 5 a day or more?
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 16:03:45 pm »
Thanks Shiv. If I'm not worried about her being constipated then I'm worried about her having runny poos from all the fruit juice even though it's watered down by at least half. perhaps i should dilute it even more? she understands now why I'm diluting it as she would lose the plot before when she saw that happening. When it was hot I was too worried about her not having enough fluids to see it through after a few days of her barely drinking, being beastly and then having trouble pooing. I will keep going with the fruit/veg chart for a few days and then begin to tackle the drinks issue. As soon as DH came home she took him off to see it and explain it. DH has only had 1 portion so far so he's lagging behind!! ;D

*Nicola*

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 22:42:37 pm »
I thought DS had developed a sweet tooth but really he was asking for sweets when he had been too long without eating. If I gave him something small, he'd then sit and wolf down his fruit/veg/meat, etc.

I love the chart idea, will steal that :)

Offline cuckoochick

• Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 13:38:30 pm »
Thanks ladies, poor love is ill today and only wants milk. She ate some houmous and bread with lunch but that has been it. Hasn't even asked for juice! ::) DH made up his 5 when he got home from work! I'm doing well though I wished crisps counted!!! Had some yummy vegetable ones this lunchtime (very root, parsnip etc).

*Nicola*