Author Topic: Imaginative play/role play - how to help him?  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Imaginative play/role play - how to help him?
« on: September 15, 2013, 17:44:07 pm »
Olly has just got into role playing. For about a month it was ONLY Fireman Sam but now it is playing teachers, cafes, shops, even hairdressers though he has never been one!

TBH I find it quite boring but obviously I will play along for Olly's sake but I am not very imaginative myself and Olly is very precise about how he want sit played out so I just tend to follow him around and do as I am told.

Do you think I should get more involved or just let him take the lead? I feel as I am the grown up I be trying to expand the game a bit to stretch his imagination or should I do this outside of this type of play by taking him to new places and doing new things?

Any other advice to encourage and nuture this kind of play?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Imaginative play/role play - how to help him?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 21:56:16 pm »
If he's very precise about how he wants it to play out maybe it's better to follow his lead for now, I know DS can get quite upset if he has a firm idea of how he wants things.
That said, DS also LOVES it when I put on an accent and really pretend to be someone else, particularly a complaining customer with lots of demands.  It really brings out the giggles.

To encourage or extend I introduce a cash register, make menu or price lists, use dress up clothes.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 06:30:35 am »
I had thought about dress up clothes but I don't think he would wear them. A hat and doctors kit is about his limit.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 14:30:23 pm »
Maybe dress up clothes for you?  A hat or scarf or cane might make you feel more like putting on another character and pretending to be someone else?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 21:13:13 pm »
Cadan is mad on this right now too. We go through phases of having to be the same few characters for a few days before it change.  It was the T-Rex, the gnome and the talking car one week and then it is Gargamel and the smurfs this week. He also likes pretending to make me dinner in his play kitchen in his apron and then saying he is joking and it was worms after I have "eaten" it.
I am rubbish at it and just go along with what he directs. DH is more adventurous but yes, sometimes Cadan gets annoyed he is taking it off on a tangent. Colby just does what he is told whilst laughing hysterically the whole time ;D
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 21:20:29 pm »
Wow, Cadan is imaginative! Olly is very much into his real life role play, doesn't pretend to be a car or dinosaur etc really. He only really watches Cbeebies so not exposed to much I suppose. We did play out a whole episode of 'I can cook' yesterday  :)