Author Topic: Weaning + Re-introducing Dairy to MSPI Baby  (Read 3864 times)

stephanne2

Weaning + Re-introducing Dairy to MSPI Baby
« on: September 15, 2013, 23:18:06 pm »
LO is only 10.5 months, but I'm barely hanging on the BF'ing as it is, so I need to start planning! We have a VERY limited supply of frozen EBM and there will not be much to add as I no longer pump. (Even with a missed feeding when DH feeds an EBM bottle, I can only pump 1oz on a GOOD day, and extra pumping sessions in between nursing no longer yielded anything but a few drops, so I gave up trying. I am NOT a good pumper!) So anyway...

With DD1, weaning was easy--we'd supplemented with formula for her starting at 4 months, so I just replaced a nursing session with formula every few days until I was no longer nursing and we were done.  But LO has MSPI--will NOT take formula--and I have NO IDEA how/when to approach weaning and re-introducing dairy without sending LO into overload.

Any MSPI mamas have any suggestions/advice? What came first--weaning or re-introducing dairy? How did you do it? How long did the weaning process take? Etc, etc...

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Weaning + Re-introducing Dairy to MSPI Baby
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 17:13:31 pm »
Hi, I weaned Olly his 1st feed at 10 months, 2nd at 11 months etc.

So you are still BFing? What milk do you use in cooking? I weaned him onto Oat Milk (with calcium) and we seem to be OK.

HTH

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 18:34:55 pm »
You will need to check with your doctor but general recommendations here in the uk at least are to not use any alternative milks or cows milk as a drink until 12mo. Until then they need either breast or formula milk as it is their main source of nutrition. Obviously you aren't for off now though so your doctor may be happy for you to switch a little early if your LO is growing well and doesn't have any other health issues that would be affected.

How many breast feeds and bottles are you currently giving?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

stephanne2

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 16:00:07 pm »
So you are still BFing? What milk do you use in cooking?
Yes--still exclusively breastfeeding.  And I typically use almond milk for cooking/baking for both myself and LO.

You will need to check with your doctor but general recommendations here in the uk at least are to not use any alternative milks or cows milk as a drink until 12mo. Until then they need either breast or formula milk as it is their main source of nutrition
My plan is to continue to nurse up through 12 months at least--but given the dairy restrictions and my limited supply (less than 100oz of EBM) of freezer milk, I was kind of hoping to map out a plan for what to do when.  (It's the OCD in me, I suppose!)

How many breast feeds and bottles are you currently giving?
She's nursed 5x during the day and once MOTN (not STTN here).  One of the DT feedings is a top-up feed before her 2nd nap.  Perhaps my first step is to get down to 4x a day? She takes a bottle extremely well, but she won't take formula (unless mixed 50/50 or more with EBM) so we stopped offering bottles because my supply was dwindling and not being replaced.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 07:27:47 am »
If one feed is just a topup maybe look at offering a snack and small cup of almond milk then instead? Just to get her used to drinking that.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 17:40:52 pm »
Hi, When we started to wean Olly was on 4 feeds a day and a NF. So at 10 months I took out one of the day feeds. Can't remember if it was 11am or 3pm one now  ??? and replaced it with a small snack. Then the next day feed went at 11 months. I would have been using calcium enriched oat milk in his cooking and I would imagine as a drink. I think at that age you are so close to 12 months then it would be OK?