Author Topic: Night wakings by my 4 month old  (Read 1344 times)

Offline honeyfix

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 18, 2013, 00:29:31 am »
So I am scrolling through these forums and threads, and had to post this question because me and my DH are at our wits ends.
Since 17 weeks, our daughter has been waking up in the night fussing (crying), when we go to her, and put her pacifier in, she stops, she fusses with her eyes closed all the time. I have tried to let her cry it out for a minute to see if she can resolve it herself but she gets too angry and then wakes. I know she isn't hungry because it is usually an hour after she goes down and has had a feed. When this began she was doing it 15 to 20 times per night, now at 20 weeks she is doing it around 3 times after an hour of going down for the night, then sleeps until 2 or 3 usually (about 5 hours or so) and then begins again, waking hourly, and then every 15 mins until she wants up completely (where she isn't crying just cooing in her crib). What should we do? I am not a fan of the PUPD method, honestly, she gets too aggravated if I touch her sometimes. I don't feel comfortable CIO at all, but it may be our only resort. FYI I know she is teething as she is rubbing her head and cheeks constantly from mid afternoon on...and it gets worse at night, and right before bed, plus all the other classic symptoms. Could this be a valid reason for the wakings?

Oh and her schedule:
Night routine: feed, bath, massage, activity, feed/ book, bed

Asleep by 7:30/8 until 5:30/6
Feed, asleep 30 mins after until 8:30 (around 2 hours usually)
Nap 9:00 for 2 hours
Nap 12:30/1 for 30 mins
Nap 3:30/4 for 30 mins
Nap 5:00 for 30 mins
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 00:32:53 am by honeyfix »

Offline honeyfix

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 00:49:15 am »
Oops, here is all the info.
How old is your child? 20 weeks
What’s his/her daily routine? Wake 5:30/6am, feed, play for 20 mins and then back down to nap, etc (see above), does play in jolly jumper, jumperoo, has begun to enjoy tummy time.
What’s nap routine? See above
How long are naps? Long am nap for 2 hours and then short 30 to 40 min catnaps in pm
What's bedtime routine? Time? 6:30pm start, usually after a feed, bath, massage, activity (if up for it), small feed, book reading (if up for it), swaddle, side laying to sleep in mommy's arms
Do you bottle or breastfed?? Bottle feed
How much? or how long? During the day 150mls usually in two feeds as she tends to not want the whole thing at once (suspect teething here), then 200mls prior to sleeping, 180mls at first waking in the am.
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)
How many wakes per night? 6 times per night roughly and currently
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? eyes closed, fussing then full out crying, on back
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? crying, but in the middle of the night crying...not sure what mantra crying is?f
What have you tried to settle?? Give pacifier, let her hold my hand or put hand on her back, arm for a minute or two
What do you do for A time and how long is it? See above, about an hour and a half, sometimes 2 hours at night. Usually begins fussing 70 mins into play.
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? Teething and wonder week number 4 (4 month sleep regression period)
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months) No
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? Pacifier, also trying to introduce a stuffed animal
Do they have a lovie? No

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: Night wakings by my 4 month old
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 04:14:06 am »
Hi there and welcome to the BW :)

Looking at the schedule - is she sleeping from 7:30/8pm until 5:30/6am, has a feed and then back to sleep until 8:30am? And then is her 1st nap at 9am for 2hrs, followed by 3 catnaps?

Usually around this age babies need to be moved to 4hr EASY - so 2hrs A time, 1.5-2hr sleep and daytime sleep would consist of 2x1.5-2hr naps and 1 catnap with approx 11-12hrs at night. It could be that she is waking up at night due to needing a little adjustment to her daytime sleep. For us, waking up an hour after bedtime would be an indication of overtiredness. I would probably work on eliminating the 3rd catnap and shifting her naps so that they are more spread out (particularly the morning nap).

Also if you are finding that at night you have to pop in the pacifier in order for her to get back to sleep, it may be that the paci is a prop  :-\

Here is a link to explain the transition better Time to Transition - 3hr, 3.5hr or 4hr EASY

Let me know if you have any questions :)

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline honeyfix

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 17:06:57 pm »
Layla thank you for replying!
I don't think the paci is a prop at this point, the past few nights I have had to pick her up and calm her down, I really think some of it has to do with teething, she has all the other symptoms.
Today I am trying to transition her to a 4 hour EASY routine, it is now 1 and she should be napping but she seems to be fighting it after being awake for 2 hours, but she yawns, and everything. I will keep trying and see how it goes.
Christina

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 01:35:44 am »
Hi Christina, welcome to BW!
I agree with Layla...I think because she is having so much sleep from 7.30pm-11am that she needs/wants A time and then gets in a little UT/OT loop.

I would keep her up for at least 1.5 hrs once she is up for the day at 8.30 then encourage a good nap from 10/10.30 for a few hours. This will help set up your day with regular naps rough out the day.

If you think teething is causing discomfort you can try medication with pain meds ie paracetamol, or teething gel can help too.

Hugs, it's such a tough age isn't it :-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline honeyfix

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 01:14:17 am »
Well today was a total throw off, yesterday was great. She slept well during the night despite waking a few times after the first hour of going down. She still wakes for a feeding mid night but goes back down, however, head rubbing and pain have been delaying her sleep patterns. Anyways today, although she slept from 700 to 7:30, with a few wake ups, and a mid night feeding, she slept for an hour, then 2- 30 min catnaps, and she was so over tired. I tried to get her to fall back asleep but she was running a fever. Ugh. Will just try and get through teething and then reattempt better naps and more routine. Thanks for all your input ladies.

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 03:47:50 am »
If she is sick/has fever, I would probably wait until she's feeling better before attempting to set a routine.

Keep us posted :-*

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 07:54:04 am »
Hugs on the teething!
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.