Author Topic: When did you LO listen to stories?  (Read 4021 times)

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: When did you LO listen to stories?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 20:03:44 pm »
My DS sat to be read to from only a few months old. He has always sat for books, even when he got to the wriggly bottom age.

My DD was SO much later - probably about 2.5 at least - and I always thought this was odd because language wise she is very advanced - more so than DS - but I guess her bottom was just REALLY wriggly  ;).

For DD it has to be on her level for her to enjoy. She liked short lift the flap books first. If I read anything too complicated, and I do sometimes when reading to DS as well, her wriggly bottom returns. And worse - she walks off and does something else  ::). If it is a chapter book she doesn't even sit in the first place.

I used to read Snail and the Whale to DS for wind down when he was 5 mths. DD still doesn't sit through that one - although she LOVES paper dolls, and charlie and lola stories. Different kids, different preferences and all that.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 21:57:53 pm »
I'd try board books for sure. We love hungry caterpillar and each peach pear plum.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2013, 22:10:13 pm »
Mine has always loved books from when he was tiny, fabric books, board books, flip the flap, number books, rhyming books - everything - but it doesn't mean he always sits still or always looks like he is listening. But he IS listening.  If I stop reading he notices and tells me to read, if I stop and ask a question he knows exactly where we are up to in the book and can answer the questions.  He will and does sit still for books and likes to snuggle up for them on the sofa, but equally he will play, roam, fiddle or watch the TV at the same time - and yes he can follow both the TV programme and the book and know exactly what is going on with both!  We don't do (and never have done) BT books, instead we have a bath time book or two and heaps of books at any time of day, in the bath he plays, chats, sings and still knows where we are up to in the book. It can be off putting for the reader but it doesn't bother me and I've taught DP not to mind it too (he did feel like DS should look and listen). Other times he is in the bath he pays 100% attention to the book and stays quiet throughout.  I had to limit books when he started using the potty as we'd be stuck on the potty for up to 15 books at a time! Madness!

I think if a LO is asking for books or appears to like them being read even if they look like they aren't listening it is well worth the time to continue to read. We don't yet know what sort of learner they will be. Kinaesthetic learners take information in through movement and if they are forced to sit still (which they will have to do through most of their schooling) they can lose interest as the experience lacks the same level of excitement and enjoyment for them.
I feel lucky that DS has never damaged books, I wouldn't like that, I think you can stop them if it is important to you, in the same way that we can, do and should stop them putting their hands on a hot oven. The oven obviously is dangerous whilst damaging books isn't but if it is important to you then the same teaching methods can be used to great effect.  There's only been a couple of times I took a book from DS and told him I need to protect the book, and have offered him newspaper or junk mail instead and told him he can tear that up (as tearing and crumpling are important skills, fine motor development). He chose not to tear it but the message was given yk.

He was given 'that's not my baby' when he was born and has always loved it, the mirror at the back is a real pay off to be anticipated.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2013, 22:13:21 pm »
 I continually say books are precious. We are gentle with books. And intervene if they are being too rough and damaging them. Not in a crazy don't crease it way but bending spines back so ultimately they rip...yup straight in there!

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 06:43:40 am »
H was v young, probably a few months when he would sit and listen and enjoy them but M more like 12-18 months. Before that she just ripped them!

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 07:02:15 am »
DD is 7 on Saturday and still fidgets at bedtime stories, in fact it is better she has something to fidget with because it helps her concentrate! We have always read to her and she has always been a fidget bum but she would still learn all the words to her favourite board books and in A time "read" them to herself. Back when she was a baby it was always interactive books like feely ones or ones where she could lift the flap and more about questions and pointing than storylines, we also let her chew, play with another book at the same time, in fact I have saved her books for when she has kids and she will be able to show the her teeth marks  ;D You could always read a book while she has a snack in the highchair, it doesn't have to be at bedtime  :)
Katt