Author Topic: 4.5 month old no longer sleeping through the night  (Read 2298 times)

Offline MamaLinds

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
4.5 month old no longer sleeping through the night
« on: September 30, 2013, 14:24:33 pm »

Hi there,

This is my second time posting on here. I am posting again after celebrating the fact that my DS briefly was sleeping 10-12 hours per night! It lasted about 2 weeks, I think (it's all such a blur). And of course, as soon as you think you've got something figured out, the rug gets pulled out from under you! And so, here I am....

Some background: I have had my DS on EASY since he was about 10 days old and I transitioned him to the 4/4 a few weeks ago and he took to it perfectly. His naps were 2 hours twice daily and he would have a teensy catnap in the early evening.

But now I don't know what's happened. For his naps, he will sleep about 25-40 minutes and then wake, so I have to go in to console him to finish his sleep (and with work he'll still do 2 hours 2x/day). And at night - for some reason - he has started NWs at 2, 3, 4 or 5. Tonight was 2:30 (crying crying) and 3:50 (at which point I determined that he was hungry, so I fed him). Maybe he's just not getting enough with the four feeds a day? He has never accepted a DF, so I have not bothered with that. He is mostly BF, but I found that feeding him with a bottle for his last feed of the day helped me to ensure he was getting a good amount of food and he was sleeping much better. I suppose he still is, but going from 11 hours to 7 hurts. Also, I have been dealing with PPD so it's been really hard for me to remain patient and objective for these night wakings. My DH has been helping somewhat but he works long hours and very early, so I don't like to ask him to help all the time.

His feeds have become very fast, but he seems like he's satisfied....but it's tricky because he always seems to want to get on to the next thing, like he's bored with eating. So there's that. I am assuming that he's become more efficient because he's older now?

He has not reached any milestones. He's not rolling over yet (or even trying to) and does not seem to be teething yet. I am just at a total loss and am so frustrated! Why is it that as soon as you acknowledge that something has gone right for once it gets taken away???

Please help. I am not sure I've given enough info so if you need to know anything else I will be checking back frequently. Thank you in advance!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 14:12:32 pm by LindsD »

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: 4.5 month old no longer sleeping through the night
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 23:15:02 pm »
Hi there and hugs!

Would you be able to post what your last couple of days looked like? Are you cluster feeding in the evenings? How does he fall asleep? Is he still swaddled?

There is a big growth spurt at 4 months so it is very possible he is hungry. Dd3 also did 12hr stretches for 1 week straight and then went back to waking 1-2times at night, at which point I fed her and I am not sure why she did this (was able to sleep 12hrs and then not) but I am satisfied that she was genuinely hungry and my definition of sleeping through is a stretch of 5hrs or more, so if he's sleeping 7hrs and then wakes, I would be feeding him at 2pm and you might find he won't wake at 3, 4 or 5am and will continue to sleep until his usual wake up time.

Edit to add - yes, they do become much more efficient at this age - DD3 only stays on the boob for 2-3mins and then signals "up" and we then move onto the next side. If you feel that he's getting distracted, try feeding him in a dark, quiet room.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 23:18:38 pm by Layla »

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline Violet's mom

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 23:54:00 pm »
Just piping in - have you tried to add a little more in the bottle before bed?  Also, does he indicate he's hungry during the day more often than the 4 hr mark?  My EBF LO is 8 months and can only go 3 hrs between feeds during the day.  I remember the 4 month growth spurt being pretty intense like Layla said.

**Tracy**

Offline MamaLinds

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 14:12:02 pm »
Thank you for the replies! I am so glad this forum is here. I've found the site tricky to get to the past couple of days, though. Have you had issues accessing it? One of our computers couldn't get to it at all yesterday - I tried 3 different browsers, but kept getting the message that the page couldn't be found after I clicked on it from Google. Finally my desktop got there...but now I'm on the laptop and no problem today! Strange huh?

Anyway! One problem at a time!

My LO woke at 3:30 again last night. My DH got up to get him back down again and said that he didn't seem hungry, but when he's waking up in the night he is wired. He is kicking all around and vocalizing a lot - he's very squirmy and seems like he wants to get up. It usually takes around 30 mins to get him back down. We don't do too much with him at this point because we know that there's a danger of making some very bad habits stick at this point, so we don't hold for too long if he's crying, and we don't talk to him except to soothe him when he's in his crib. He is no longer in a swaddle (he sleeps in a little sack) and he's been in his own room and crib since he was 1 month old (we did it a little early because we couldn't sleep with him in our room). We always put him down to sleep awake and he'll either drift off on his own or fuss himself to sleep (other times he cries and I need to shh pat) it just depends on whether we've got him at the right time, I think.

He's actually a little over a week away from being 5 months old and I definitely remember the 4 month growth spurt! It was intense, but short, I found. I do cluster a bit in the evenings. If he has a 3 pm feed I will feed him again at 5 and then his last feed is between 7/7:30. And for the last bottle of the day we usually make it pretty big. We usually give 7.5 - 8 oz and if he eats it very quickly we will give another 2 oz or so, so I feel like we're topping him off pretty well. How many oz should LOs of this age be having in a day or in a sitting?

Sunday looked like this:
Awake @ 7am
E: 7:15
A: 7:30 - 9
S: 9-11 (with a wake up and put back down at about 9:30)

E: 11
A: 11:15-12:45
S: 12:45-2:45 (with a wake up and put back down at 1-1:15)

E: 2:50
A: 3:15-5
S: 5-5:30 (with a bit of a battle)

E: 5:30
A: 5:45-7

Bedtime: 7:40

For LO's activities, I take him for a walk with our dogs, show him trees (which he LOVES - I don't know how we'll handle winter because he loves to be outside), put him on his play mat, sit him in his chair with his Sophie giraffe or toy, give tummy time, sing songs in the mirror with him or that sort of thing.

Then yesterday was like this:
E: 3:50
S: 4:10-8:10

Awake for day @ 8:10
E: 8:50
A: 9:15- 10
S: 10-12:20 (woke up at 10:45 and then didn't go back down until 11:45 - so much crying and fighting)

E: 12:45
A: 1-2:30
S: 2: 30-4:50 (28 mins of sleep, 20 mins awake with me trying to get him back down, followed by 1h35m of straight sleep)

E:5
A: 5:15-7 (including bath)

Bedtime 7:40 or so

I'm not sure if there are better activities that I should be doing? He almost never indicates that he's hungry! The only time he ever fusses at all is when he's tired or bored. He's generally a pretty awesome guy. And when he's awake he doesn't seem to be experiencing any discomfort to indicate that he's teething. Just this past week he's been waking up during his naps and is squirmy and during the night wired!

It seems that the past 3 nights he's awoken right around 3:30, so there may be a habit forming there. Perhaps tonight I should try the W2S method?? I'm nervous about it, though.

Please let me know if you have any other ideas. Thanks so much!!!

Offline Violet's mom

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 15:42:25 pm »
In regards to the computer thing - this is a UK maintained website and they do maintenance sometimes when it would be considered during the day in the US so that might've been it.  Are you in the US?

Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!!

Maybe a little undertired?  When he wakes from his nap what is his disposition?  You might want to try pushing a times.  When he wakes during the night is he crying?  If not, I would just let him have his crib party until he puts himself back to sleep.  Things are so interesting at this age that I found sleep to be a little crazy if she wasn't getting enough activity - they are a little older so more able to handle slightly more stimulation!

**Tracy**

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 23:28:10 pm »
At this age we were in the 3-2 nap transition territory (waking up and staying up at night is one of the signs) and I agree that your LO is a little undertired. I would try and add more A time and try and aim towards 2.5hrs. You might have to limit the morning and afternoon nap to 1.5hrs so that there is enough time for the catnap and your day isn't too long or if your LO is fighting the catnap and you think you can stretch him to 3hrs across the day, you could let him sleep up to 2hrs per nap. I would probably do the 2x1.5hr naps and cn to start with.

So your day would probably look something like this:
7am - awake (I would start the day around the same time to keep things consistent)
9.30-11 - morning nap
1.30-3 - afternoon nap
5.30-6pm - catnap
8pm - bedtime

Here is a link for the 3-2 nap transition All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months

Let me know what you think?

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline MamaLinds

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 14:26:45 pm »
Wow, this is great information. I will have to give the new nap system a try over the next couple of days and get back to you! Also, I am going to head out to get a little activity table today. There's a daycare at my gym and they said that my LO is in love with the little exer-saucer there! If I drop him off and he has 30 mins of awake time left, I will let them know, but they often say that he plays at that table for over an hour before passing out! Another sign he might be ready for a bit more A time, I suppose.

Violet's mom was right - I should have not gone into his room for a couple of those strange nights because (at least the past few nights) my LO hasn't cried. He is just babbling and squirming. For now, we have gotten 2 nights of undisturbed sleep again! But his naps are now a little problematic.

Thank you so much ladies! I'm looking forward to seeing how a new arrangement will work.

Offline MamaLinds

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 21:12:17 pm »
You whisperers are the best! You had it exactly right: DS needed just a little bit more awake time. Not only is he back to napping without waking, but he's even going down without any sort of fuss. Thank you thank you x a million!!!

Offline Violet's mom

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 22:05:38 pm »
 ;D

**Tracy**