Author Topic: did I totally miss this?  (Read 2497 times)

Offline brummum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 56
« on: October 12, 2013, 06:34:31 am »
Hey, so my little one is not so little now, he's 21months. He is not a great sleeper but have always put this down to teething, routine, developmental milestones, reflux as a baby. But recently other things have been concerning me - intermittent rash/blotches mostly on face and arms, consistently looser stools that don't seem to be firming up as he gets older. He doesn't appear to get tummy pain but can be very gassy. So for some reason today, after a year and a half of being on this forum, I decided to look at the 'does my baby have an intolerance' FAQ and the last one says sandpaper like feel to upper arms which he has always had. Did I miss the boat? Could some of the symtoms I put down to his reflux actually have been an intolerance? Or would (should?) I definately have known by now if there was an intolerance issue? How do I go about this with a toddler as oppose to a baby?

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: did I totally miss this?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 06:44:43 am »
Hey Hun, I actually just added the last one recently as after seeing our biomedical pead she asked about Ts arms. She said that this type of rash can do with malabsorption of some things like omega 3 ( but I'll have to check as I can't remember) and that babies with intolerances or sensitivites to something can develop this type of rash. (Could be environmental, or contact, or food)

Ts wasn't really eczema like, though this is another symptom. His was more like rough skin. Tbh it's never completely cleared but it did improve, and his eczema between his eyes vanished once he was on neocate.

On its own, I wouldn't say its likely an intolerance, but along with other symptoms then maybe yes. On its own it could be this... Which is just a skin condition. http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/why-the-skin-on-your-arms-is-bumpy-and-what-to-do-about-it of which I think omega 3 helps to get rid of it.

If you suspect intolerances your only way to really test the theory is to remove a food group ie dairy...and see if things change YK?
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline brummum

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 07:20:05 am »
Thanks hon, I will defo look into that! I'm really not sure re: intolerance. He's never had eczema for instance but does get very blotchy periodically. It could just be me over reacting but I have constantly felt like I'm 'missing' something with him. Maybe I'm just looking for that ever illusive magic wand (which mod had it last by the way?!). How did you 'know' with your boys? Inlight of other issues I think I'm going to keep a close eye on his bowel movements over the next few days to check for mucous and maybe try dairy illimination, how's best to go about that? Is that the best one to start with? Can I just substitute soya milk and keep an eye on ingrediants of any brought food? How long before you would expect to see a difference?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 08:33:22 am »
Hi, I would start with dairy as it is the most common intolerance tbh. Yes, swap dairy for soy or oat milk for a while. I think things like blotchy rashes and skin probs would improve within a week or so?

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 23:14:44 pm »
I agree with bb. You may even find he is ok with yogurt and a little cheese as it's made differently I think to milk etc. :-\ prob best to cut all though if you can!

Ummm I knew because T had every single symptom on the list :o plus colic and severe silent reflux ::) :(
***Sara***

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 23:16:49 pm »
Those symptoms...the rash, poos, gasiness and awful sleep were all the symptoms we got with DD2. She has dairy intolerance but can tolerate small amounts now xx

Offline brummum

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 11:11:28 am »
hugs Sara! Poor T. Am I right in thinking that with an intolerance rather than an allergy they usually grow out of it by age 3 or so, or is babycentre off the mark?! I'm starting no dairy today. I don't know if I'm just looking for things but his tummy seems less bloated. Have substituted soya and looking up lots of non dairy recipes. Is there anything I need to be aware of in terms of still making sure he's getting the calcium and things he needs from other sources?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 14:53:35 pm »
Olly out grew his allergy by 3 - left with a bit of an intolerance now though. Hoping he grows out of that. Although it could be his body adjusting to it.  ???

I think MPI they can grow out of from 1 onwards. That is the age that it seems most docs on here seem to recommend trialling to see anyway.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 16:46:56 pm »
I think MPI they can grow out of from 1 onwards. That is the age that it seems most docs on here seem to recommend trialling to see anyway.
Yeah I think between 1-3 yrs they often outgrow it.
I hope going DF helps Hun - does the soy milk your using have calcium in it or added?
***Sara***

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 03:22:05 am »
the sand paper feel on upper arms little red bumps is probably keratosis pilaris. Mainstream edical advice is to use carious creams and they think there is a hereditary factor. Wholistic medicine paradigms such as naturopathy says that it's linked to essential fatty acid deficiency so things like cod liver oil ( as it contains natural vitamin A & D as well as omega 3 can really help).

I would also say that dairy intolerance can cause these type of rashes, as I have seen them on my LO as a baby and he was dairy intolerant, but he has always been on some form of fatty acid supplement, unless you eat alot of oily fish it will be hard to get enough omega 3 from diet.