Author Topic: cannot settle 7 week old baby  (Read 927 times)

Offline Claremckeever

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 20, 2013, 19:20:52 pm »
Help please

After 7 weeks i still dont know how to settle my baby to sleep for naps.

She is a happy alert baby who eats and plays but won't sleep during the day (she does at night).

She hates being swaddled and fights really hard to get out and screams and kicks and punches till her arms are out.  She also hates being held close, this seems to infuriate her and make sleep even further away!!  what can i do??

I have tried a dark quiet room, sshhing just riles her more.  I get so upset and distraught that after 7 weeks her mum doesn't know what to do to help her sleep or settle.  what am i doing wrong?  i see when she gets tired after activity and know when to start sleep but she fights.  There are days when she doesn't sleep during the day at all and is so tired her eyes are popping out her head.

I am totally lost and feel this is getting me down where otherwise she is a dream baby and i know i am blessed.

Offline Buttonbobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: cannot settle 7 week old baby
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 06:57:30 am »
Hi honey, welcome to BW. Sorry to hear you're finding things a little tough at the moment. Sleep and babies of this age can be so stressful for parents. It sounds like you've made a good start at knowing when your LO might be tired and have tried a few things to help her.

Are you able to post your EAS pattern, a bit like this:

Wake up: 7am (Or whatever time she does)
E: 7am - is she BF or FF? If FF? How much is she taking
A: the time she is awake from eyes open to eyes closed
S: next sleep e.g. 8am for 1 hour/1.5 hours etc

For the whole day

If you are able to post what you have done for a day or two it will help us look for things that might assist you.

Hugs xxx
~ Naomi ~

Offline British Coaster

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 20:16:00 pm »
Hi clare, your post could have been written by me a couple of years ago with ds1.  just wanted to send hugs, BW worked wonders for us - I learned with my lo that I was expecting way too much A time and not being consistent enough with his wind down.  Also was getting upset when he cried rather than listening to the type of cry (he was usually just telling me he was tired rather than how I interpreted it as distress)

Good luck figuring out your little one,  hang in there and don't beat yourself up,  it takes a long time to get to really know or babies :)