Author Topic: White flour intolderance?  (Read 2617 times)

Offline skatty

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
White flour intolderance?
« on: November 01, 2013, 13:43:55 pm »
Is that possible? I have noticed that when Leorah eats baked goods with white flour her tummy becomes huge, sometimes she looks pregnant or like you could pop her belly like a balloon! I have only just started to suspect white flour recently because on 2 different occasions she ate pancakes at two different places and she had a huge belly afterwards  :-\ She has often suddenly had this type of belly but I didn't consider what she had eaten  :P She hardly eats wheat flour because we only have rye bread in the house unless we buy ciabatta or some other bread for soup or something. She doesn't seem to be windy or have any pain but I wonder if this could be an early sign of an intolerance. I am sure it is not gluten because rye flour also has gluten doesn't it? I am not sure about wholegrain flour either, I guess I will have to test it out. I don't know if it makes any difference but she was MSPI as a baby and toddler and DH cannot tolerate much wheat. It is just so strange because she is slim and doesn't even have a slight belly usually and then at other times it looks like she will burst!
Katt

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 119
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 01:55:46 am »
Well this happens to me for sure, my worst offenders are bread of all types but especially white bread. I also get bloating (wind :-[ ) cramps that go right up to my shoulders. So I think the answer is yes..

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: White flour intolderance?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 03:32:16 am »
Yeah, I get that if I over do it on breads...sometimes I am tempted to join Spencer and go gf just to see as I do like one of the breads we buy for her, but it is so darn expensive!

And yes, rye does have gluten!
Heidi

Offline skatty

• My spirited girl
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 07:04:27 am »
Thank you! I guess I will have to keep an eye on it.  am hoping wholegrain spelt flour may be ok so she can still have pancakes and stuff. She doesn't have any discomfort but the day I really noticed is a day she overloaded on my friend's amazing pancakes  :P
Katt

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 10:38:07 am »
There is a blog I followed for a while and then lost track of that had a post with pictures of the author's daughter's tummy after eating something with wheat flour and how bloated she was, and then an After picture after they'd removed grains from the diet. I was hoping to find the photos but she's re-done her website and I can't locate them now, but the difference was pretty profound, especially considering it was a 4YO!

Whether or not it's an intolerance, all that starch breaking down provides lots of "food" for gut flora; in the case of any yeast that live there naturally, that'll result in CO2 production, just like yeast in bread dough makes bubbles. A steady food supply *can* result in yeast overgrowth in the body, so something to bear in mind even when picking substitutions for wheat flour, as pretty much any grains will break down the same way.

Offline skatty

• My spirited girl
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 16:03:24 pm »
I thought it was crazy since Leorah is so young too. We don't actually have white flour products in the house so it is usually if we are elsewhere, she sometimes eats wholegrain pasta but not in huge portions so I haven't noticed her belly after that. We only eat rye bread but I have bought L a muffin making machine for Xmas and now I am wondering what sort of flour I will use if she can't have wheat though I don't think a small amount affects her, I think it is when she has eaten a lot and that happens seldom I guess. I plan to show her how to make breakfast muffins so maybe we can use ground oats as flour anyway, I will have to look into it. Thanks for the help  :)
Katt

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 16:13:27 pm »
Some days I can eat bread and be fine, others it bloats me. Have not worked out why to this day  ::)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 16:21:53 pm »
If you end up using a gf flour for the cupcakes be sure there is other stuff to bind the mix (ie egg/applesauce/flax) or they will be crumbly. Oh and for some weird reason my gf muffins/cupcakes always stick to paper liners!

Heidi

Offline skatty

• My spirited girl
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 17:13:21 pm »
Thanks for the tip but I don't think it can be gluten because she eats rye bread everyday without a problem. I really hope she doesn't become gluten intolerant  :P
Katt

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 08:07:27 am »
I has white bread rolls and had stomach ache all afternoon. All my energy was sapped too. Really am thinking it us the white flour now. I eat brown toast for brekkie every day and don't seem to have a problem.

How us L now? Have you changed anything in her diet?

Offline skatty

• My spirited girl
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 14:50:33 pm »
Only that I haven't given her anything with white flour  ;) We don't have it in the house so it is seldom she eats it but I am interested to see what happens when she eats it again. I wonder if it is the bleach or other Chemicals that are in white flour? I don't think it is healthy for any of us is it!
Katt

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 119
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 02:46:02 am »
I don't think it is healthy for any of us is it!

Nope!!  Neither is wholemeal flour for that matter...

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 06:50:19 am »
Think I am going to have to experiment myself. I have heard spelt is easier to digest? Might try that.