Author Topic: Switching NF from BF to FF how much?  (Read 1709 times)

Offline goldmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
Switching NF from BF to FF how much?
« on: November 13, 2013, 16:20:53 pm »
DD is now almost 9 months old. She is currently BF'ed at wake up and BT and takes 2 bottles of aprox 4 oz during the day, with tons of solids. She has one NF during the early part of the night (typically between 10-11) that I am switching to a bottle so DH can feed her.

I'm trying to figure out how much to put in that bottle since I don't want to give her too much, since in reality we'd like to drop it soon, but don't think she's ready for that yet.

We tried 2 oz, but she woke again 3 hours later (teething or hunger?) and had another 2 oz. I'm concerned that she wants to take a lot during this NF since she's very relaxed and enjoys sucking (She uses her thumb and not a pacifier to sleep).

Would 4 oz be too much for a NF at 9 months, and should I try to give her some in a bottle before bed also? Any advice?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Switching NF from BF to FF how much?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 20:50:57 pm »
Honestly? I would wean that feed and not bother with introducing a bottle at all.

She is having 4 milk feeds and a good amount of solids so she really doesn't need it now - Tracy suggests weaning the DF at around 8 months and most bottle fed babies are moving to 3 bottles with no DF/ nightfeed at 9/10 months. We weaned DD's nightfeed at 8.5 months, she was on 3 bottles, eating ok and didn't have a DF (never worked for us).

If you really think she needs it I would just offer the same amount you do in a bottle during the day.

Laura

Offline goldmom

• Showing Appreciation 23
Re: Switching NF from BF to FF how much?
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 21:23:50 pm »
I'd love to wean  :). Maybe we'll try sticking with 2 oz bottles for a few nights and see how that goes. With DD it's hard to know if she needs it or not, as this is an early NW. But we don't want multiple NW's either  :-\.