Author Topic: Christmas disruptions  (Read 893 times)

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Christmas disruptions
« on: November 15, 2013, 04:23:14 am »
I realize that it is only the middle of November but I need some advice in advance!  I've had my DS on E.A.S.Y since birth, getting more focused in the last month and he's responding really well.  We start and end every day at 7, he has a longer nap in the morning with some flexible naps in the afternoon and he STTN. 
My big problem is this: every year my hubby's family has a Christmas party, this year is no different.  Although it has changed a little over the years as we've got older, added to our families etc. it's still a fairly loud and lengthy affair.  My DS will be 4 months old in December and I am not sure I want to haul his cute wrinkly butt all the way to Granma and Granpa's to fall asleep upstairs in an unfamiliar room, only to be wake him (if he falls asleep) at 11pm to go home and then expect him to fall back to sleep and not suffer major repercussions.  I just feel it's really unfair for him.   :-\
Am I being unreasonable/way too uptight/controlling?  Please advise!

Thank you!!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Christmas disruptions
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 08:07:49 am »
Personally I would just do it as a one off but my kids were pretty flexible.
If you don't want to stay so late could you arrive early and leave early? Maybe judge it on the night by how well he is coping. It probably depends in his temperament too how well he will handle sleeping elsewhere.
Can he sleep in a pram or car seat while there so you can transfer him in that while he is asleep rather than have to pick him up from a bed.
Definitely take a monitor if you will be using a bedroom away from you.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 11:23:27 am »
Is there the option to go for part of the party? Like Ali says, how flexible is he? My little guy is not/was not flexible, some people's body clocks just aren't able to adjust like others. If I had been in your situation then I would probably have gone for the first part of the party (assuming he was still awake) or if it was after bedtime, have myself/DH go without him while the other one stayed at home.

How flexible is your DH's family? If they really want to see your LO would they change things up around his routine?
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 20:38:32 pm »
How does your DH feel about it?

Like Ali I'd go as a one off too.
We don't have enough family (who will be civil to one another) to put together a party and I think sometimes family (extended) can be taken for granted rather than treated as the precious gift they are - not that I think you are taking your family for granted, only that sometimes we can all get a bit too focused on baby's sleep when other aspects of baby's life are also of great great value, maintaining contact, family tradition and good relations with family is going to be such a wonderful thing for your little baby even though he is maybe too young to really enjoy them right now.  If it is important to your DH and to his family I would really consider going.  I would look for ways to make it go as smoothly as possible, leave early if he won't settle, dress him in his night things and use a fleecy onesie instead of a gro bag (if you usually use a gro bag) so he can stay in warm clothing which safely works with a car seat harness to reduce the amount of fiddling around with clothing etc, pre-warm the car before transferring him so he doesn't get suddenly cold, take white noise if you think it would help drown out the noise of the party, those sort of things.

That said, if your DH isn't really bothered by skipping the party one year and if the rest of the family are very understanding about it then perhaps this is the year to skip?  problem with skipping once is it makes it so much easier to do again, a 1yo isn't so good at sleeping elsewhere either, or a 2 yo, mine will be almost 3yo this Christmas and I doubt he'd settle to sleep elsewhere...and you could end up dropping out of the Christmas party tradition  :-\  I suppose I'm suggesting looking at the bigger picture, at all the relationships involved, possibly consequences if you do/don't go and making a decision you feel confident about.

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 22:25:24 pm »
Dh's family is huge and are very big on Easter and Christmas celebrations....he's from Central America so they pump up the Latin music and dance all night! I used to be so fixated on dd1's sleep that our first Christmas i made dh dissasemble the cot, assemble it when we got there as i was convinced she wouldn't sleep in a portacot and then after midnight he had to do the same when we got back home! Then when i had dd2, i chilled out a bit and we would go and leave earlier if the girls weren't settling or stay there and do exactly what Creations said (dress in pjs, warm up car before transfer) and they would continue sleeping in the car and then gently transfer to cot/bed.

These are just about the only times i try not to worry about routines...if he's an easy going baby, chances are he will get back into his routine over the next few days. I just made sure i would stay home for the next couple of days.

I suppose it all depends on how much it means to you/your DH and his family :)

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline Proud Mammy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 22:33:28 pm »
Couldn't agree more with you Creations.
Family are extremely important and you are luck to have them with you and wanting to make Christmas memories with your baby. There will come a time when this won't be possible so I would certainly make the sacrifice and know that you WILL get back on track with your routine....it's only one night.

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 03:57:48 am »
Thank you ladies, this is why I value this forum so much!  DH and I have decided will pack the cot and won't stay too late.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 07:36:20 am »
I'm sure you'll have great fun :)
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 08:33:18 am »
Sounds like a good plan. Enjoy yourself and your family :)